Thread: Swap transfer Case

Default Swap transfer Case

my jeep is stuck in 4 wheel drine and i was told theat he np200 is out dated and i should put in a np205 and a sm 465 tranny but i have a pto winch and i dont know waht my best bet is
    can anyone give me some advice

Yes.

1. If the tcase is stuck in 4wd...I assume you mean you cant get the lever to move to let it back in 2wd...drive the truck in reverse for 20-30 feet, slowly. Try to get it to shift to 2wd then...if that doesnt work, repeat a few times. Sometimes it helps to try to shift it into 2wd while rolling in reverse...slap the stick forward and it may go...worst case scenario, while rolling at idle in reverse, slap the gas pedal briefly and hit the shifter forward at the same time.

The tcase tends to get "gear bind" if driven in 4wd long enough on a surface without enough slippage for the drivetrain to work out the kinks...things get wound up...driving in reverse tends to unwind them.

2. The NP205 is a good swap for these trucks. It is a modern version of the NP200 with the bugs worked out...basically.
    You will need to fab up new mounts and that has been done many times and there are several peoples pics on the site to guide you...this is for a divorced 205...

If you are looking at changing the trans then you must be changing the engine? There is no bellhousing or adapter to mate the sm465 to the 230 engine...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Default here is what i found when i tried to drive

my m715 has a a small block 350 chevy in it with the winch and stock tranny and np200 transfer case
    the discription of what is happening when i was driving and the 4x4 wheel high low lever and 2wd to 4wd started parting away and popping i stopped the vehical and i put in in reverse and it made a popping noise under the truck sounds like its the transfer case
    if i drove forward the 4wd high/low lever pulls forward and the 2wd to 4wd pull down like its trying to engage

i was also wanteding if i should change the tranny but the pto winch its to the tranny so how would i get it to a sm465
    or is it better to have the tranny built

thanks for your advice and help

With that motor, a SM465/NP205 combo would be a real nice swap...that has been done too...I am sure you can get some pics from members who have done it.

If the txase is popping, that doesnt sound good...kind of one I would want to look at but you may be right that it is time for a repair or swap...and the NP205 is a great swap unless you really want to stay stock...which I am sure you arent worried about.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Based on what you have going, I think i would opt for swapping in the 205. You will need to deal with the parking brake, but there is lots of information on the site here in regards to the swap. The 465 is a great transmission, and you can get PTO drives for them, they are actually pretty common. In fact, I think I have a spare out in the garage, ..if you are interested, let me know. BTW, I saw you are in CA, I am in the foothills east of Sacramento, . ..

Another thought, ..based on still not having a clear picture of what you are talking about on the actions of the shift levers, I would crawl under and make sure the brackes and linkage for the shifts are tight, . .I have seen the brackets loosen up and make the shifters not work. . good luck