Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock radiator swap?

Default Stock radiator swap?

Hey all,

I tried finding the relevant info by searching previous posts on the subject, and even though I'm sure the information is there, I couldn't find it. So does anyone know what the closest swap-over would be for a stock M715 radiator? I have one of the converted 4 cylinder Hercules diesels, which freed up enough room inside that a fan box was necessary. Though regardless, it's still the same radiator.

Any suggestions? I'm not too fond of paying between $600-$800 for the original NOS copper radiator.

Thanks!

DONT buy an NOS radiator...if it has been sitting that long, it is bittle and will crack every time there is pressure to it...fix that crack and it will crack again.

Ask a radiator shop...

Best swap for the stock radiator, Randyscycle has posted this:

Just order a "CJ to V8 conversion radiator".

Search that exact term on e-bay and you'll come up with several options. Aluminum or standard copper. I did the aluminum one and it cools my 396 just fine with an electric fan.

Nice thing is, it fits in the stock space almost exactly. You just need to elongate the mount holes either in the radiator or body a tiny bit.

Note: I searched on the above just now and got nothing...but I did find this, which I believe is the right one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...Q5fAccessories
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks!! I checked out that link and that one looks REALLY close. Thinking I'm going with the aluminum version as well, if I can find it. My temp hovers around 180F but has been slowly rising these past few months on account of summer and that my radiator fins are rotting away.

I would assume that radiator on EBay would also work with a stock 230 motor - a bit much radiator (4 core) but would work fine correct?

My stock radiator is fine but the local shop quoted me $300 to recore it/make it look real pretty again...seems a bit much to me.

That is what I understand...it works good for the 230 as well...hose connections are in the right place.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

rottiedogs Guest

Good timing on this post. Mine started leaking today.

Memphis equipment sells an aftermarket aluminum that boolts directly in and evn has mounting holes for the fan shroud.

Didn't know about that aftermarket at Memphis. I called them yesterday and they only told me of the NOS copper one for $754. Guess I need to call them again....

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by whiteapeman View Post
    I called them yesterday and they only told me of the NOS copper one for $754.

Sounds like the $500 used deuce fender they quoted me a couple months ago....
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

we bought one from the FD a couple years back, I think it is a griffin, if you have your original, you can always have it recored. Call memphis again and ask them about the aluminum one. I will try to figure out what brand it is, this way if they dont have one, you can call them directly. very nice radiator.