Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My truck is out of whack! :(

Default My truck is out of whack! :(

Take a look at this pic:

This is at the FE last October.

When I was working on my truck, everything "seemed" OK...of course, it came w/o a front bumper, and the front sheet metal has been off since I got it. When I put the front clip on, and the front bumper, it became obvious that the bumper isn't level to the truck and ground.

The drivers side frame horn is about 1" lower than the passenger side. Across the width of the bumper, that magnifies into a 2" height difference, low on the drivers side of the truck, passenger side is high.

The frame, from level concrete, measures the same height at the rear spring hangers. At the bump stop, it's about 1/2" low on the driver side, and at the front spring shackle mount, it's almost 3/4"...then 1" at the end of the frame.

The driver side front spring shackle mount is not parallel to the passenger side mount...it's welded to the frame tilted back just a bit...this accounts for about 1/4" of the height difference it looks like, because the shackles sit at different angles from one side of the truck to the other.

There are no signs of a bent frame or frame damage and repair. It really looks like it was just built on a Friday by the lowest bidder.

It drives fine, doesn't pull or anything. Tires that came on it (ndt's) didn't have any wear pattern that would indicate a problem. The only real problem to me, so far, right now, is that the bumper doesn't line up.

I'm going to mount my winch anyway, and I'll "force" the new bumper to be horizontal when I bolt and weld up the frame extensions.

Anybody else seen this? Did I get the worst factory frame out there...or are others like this??
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Actually when viewed from the rear, my truck lists slightly to the left. When you measure everything it comes up about 1 inch low on the left. The front is level. I think its the same as yours. A Friday truck......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

It's the jeep lean. All jeeps have it.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

How about: "The Toledo Tilt?"
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The drivers side frame horn is about 1" lower than the passenger side. Across the width of the bumper, that magnifies into a 2" height difference, low on the drivers side of the truck, passenger side is high.

The frame, from level concrete, measures the same height at the rear spring hangers. At the bump stop, it's about 1/2" low on the driver side, and at the front spring shackle mount, it's almost 3/4"...then 1" at the end of the frame.

The driver side front spring shackle mount is not parallel to the passenger side mount...it's welded to the frame tilted back just a bit...this accounts for about 1/4" of the height difference it looks like, because the shackles sit at different angles from one side of the truck to the other.
    even if the frame is lower to the ground on one side that the other the body should be the same height on one side as the other. the body bushing or mount bracket or radiator support has to almost be where your problem is, I think? raise the lower side up of the front clip to match and add spacers to bring it to the correct level and you should be fine
    Last edited by kaiser715; August 5th, 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: fixed quoted text
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

I should think with the gas tank, and driver on the same side, over time it would have to sit a little lower on that side. .02

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    even if the frame is lower to the ground on one side that the other the body should be the same height on one side as the other. the body bushing or mount bracket or radiator support has to almost be where your problem is, I think? raise the lower side up of the front clip to match and add spacers to bring it to the correct level and you should be fine
    Yeah, the front clip is shimmed...to make it fit up. But just looking at the truck on pavement...the bumper is about 2" out of kilter with the ground.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Quote Originally Posted by airborne View Post
    I should think with the gas tank, and driver on the same side, over time it would have to sit a little lower on that side. .02
    Yep, it *should*...but it's pretty obvious, and the tape shows all the out-of-whackivity is in the last couple of feet of the frame rail.
    DP

Default Same Here

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Actually when viewed from the rear, my truck lists slightly to the left. When you measure everything it comes up about 1 inch low on the left. The front is level. I think its the same as yours. A Friday truck......
    Mine is 1" off the same as Randy's. 'It's a Jeep Thing!"
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Mine is only 3/8" lower at the left frame horn, but my gas tank has been relocated to the back center. Hmmm...