Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone swapped in a 292 chevy

I have a 292 in mine. If you do a search you will be able to see the pics, if not I can post some more when I get home from work. I am running a 4bbl offy intake with a 350 cfm 2bbl holley, but will be moving to a 390 cfm 4bbl when ever I get around to rebuilding the carb. I am using the original 24v generator and have power steering and power brakes. The 292 has more than enough power, more than I will ever need. Behind it I have a SM465 and the stock transfer case.

Edit: I forgot to add that the bellhousing needs to be the old cast iron one that has the mounts for the starter. I tried to use the newer aluminum one that came with the tranny but there were no starter mounts.
    Last edited by porkchop; July 29th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Porkchop, I had the same problem. I had it all put together with a newer bellhousing before I discovered my older 292, only had the two inline holes for the starter. Later a guy gave me a newer 292 (spare parts motor) that has the off-set starter holes. I finally found a Hitachi style starter, that when shimed will work, notice my picture. That problem is what got me off track.

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    I have a 292 in mine. If you do a search you will be able to see the pics, if not I can post some more when I get home from work. I am running a 4bbl offy intake with a 350 cfm 2bbl holley, but will be moving to a 390 cfm 4bbl when ever I get around to rebuilding the carb. I am using the original 24v generator and have power steering and power brakes. The 292 has more than enough power, more than I will ever need. Behind it I have a SM465 and the stock transfer case.

Edit: I forgot to add that the bellhousing needs to be the old cast iron one that has the mounts for the starter. I tried to use the newer aluminum one that came with the tranny but there were no starter mounts.
    I know I'm reading a really old thread but I'm swapping a 250 Chevy into my 68 M715...I caught where you said you kept yours 24v and I want to as well...how did you get fire to the 292? Did you keep it 12v with a regulator or is there a 24 volt distributor and coil available? I have figured out the 24 volt Chevy starters will bolt up and my lights work so I'd like to keep it 24v if possible. Thanks for any help

Quote Originally Posted by Freedonia fire View Post
    I know I'm reading a really old thread but I'm swapping a 250 Chevy into my 68 M715...I caught where you said you kept yours 24v and I want to as well...how did you get fire to the 292? Did you keep it 12v with a regulator or is there a 24 volt distributor and coil available? I have figured out the 24 volt Chevy starters will bolt up and my lights work so I'd like to keep it 24v if possible. Thanks for any help
    Off topic, but we live in the same town....
    Sent you a pm. Let me know if you need help getting it going.

- Damon
    Rooster - Del.Date 1-68 3G2080

Porkchop had a 24 to 12 volt reducer mounted on the inside of his firewall to give power to the coil. The rest of the truck was 24 volt stock.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Would you happen to have a link for replacing the flywheel?