Thread: Axle swap questions

Default Axle swap questions

OK I did use the search and have read tons of the posts on here. I got some info that I was looking for, but not all. If the answers are covered in other threads and I missed it I'll apologize now.

So first off for a front axle is the mounting width of a DRW axle more desirable? I really only saw this talked about on the rear axle.

On a D60 king-pin 4 bolt front axle will are steering arms swap over?

Last is appears that going SOA is the easiest way to swap an axle in. But what are the best springs to use as to not get 5-6" of lift? I like the truck where it sits now. I'd like to keep it under three inches if I have to gain any lift.

Thanks

When I swapped in my D60 and 14 bolt---I used the stock springs and mounted the axles the same way the stocks mounted--one over one under. Didnt change the height one bit obviously.

I used high steer kit for the D60 so I cant speak to that--

NOTE-Dodge leaf spring axles(1993 and older) have the spring perch cast into the diff housing on the passenger side and it uses 1 u-bolt around the axle tube, and 5/8 bolts to hold it in place. so if you want to keep it stock height(spring under) i believe you'll have to use a drivers side diff axle and t-case, or grind the heck outta a dodge unit and drill and tap new bolt holes).
    as for the steer arms on a king pin axle, the dodge steer arm points straight across to the passenger side-parallel to the axle housing. and it swings front to rear so you have to use an aftermarket high steer arm on the passenger side of the swaped in axle(stock 715 arms are not a direct swap). i believe most GM D60 are setup the same way.