Thread: Shorten stock wheelbase? Pros,Cons,Personnel Experience?

Default Shorten stock wheelbase? Pros,Cons,Personnel Experience?

Hello, I don't post much but was interested in any input on shortening the stock wheelbase on my 715. About 7 yrs ago I rehabbed it mechanically and put in stroked SBC with ranger OD, PS, PB, 12v, 38" SSs ect ,ect. Posted alot on the old site back then but have kinda lurked here last few yrs. Kinda lost my inspiration with the truck so was thinking of shortening it up so the rear wheelwells would be right behind the cab and tailgate right behind that. Found a couple short clips on youtube showing a short 715 but can't find out anything else. Thanks in advance for any input, have a good weekend

Jester Guest

Last edited by Jester; July 12th, 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Jester Guest

Doug shortened his quite a bit...has a few vids on you tube so I am guessing it might be his...

If I recall it right, he took out 15 inches in front of and 15 behind the axle and then made new sides that look like the bed sides but arent really...its interior is like a CJ or so...one unit from dash to tailgate...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Jon's right about the dimensions. New wheelbase of 111"

I built a new frame for the back half of the truck to insure axle clearence...I stayed spring under. If you just move the axle forward, it's starts getting close to the frame and clearence could be an issue.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

I found Doug's bulding threads....looks pretty good, I didn't think about "Unibody" CJ aproach he used. I was going to shorten the frame and bed themselves. I helped shorten an IH 3/4 ton years ago. Owner used "fish plates"(?) to weld over the welded up frame joint. Also cut frame at an angle so joints would be longer and stronger. The plates were 1 1/2 ft long or so with each end pointed so kinda looked like a oblong diamond shape.
    Trying to talk myself out of it but I think it would be a cool mod. Thanks for everyones comments.