Thread: Power steering- pitman arm

Default Power steering- pitman arm

Years ago I installed power steering on my M715. I think it was a Saginaw power steering box from an Oldsmobile. The pump came from a late 60s Wagoneer. My turning radius has been huge ever since. I don't remember changing the pitman arm to something other than either what was on the M715 or the Saginaw box to begin with, I just remember I was happy it fit.
    I don't know which one I used but I know I did not get a one off a full size Jeep with power steering and use it. I have always wondered if I replaced it with a pitman arm from a full size Jeep with power steering if it would reduce my huge turning radius.

I love to drive the truck but just the amount of space it takes to park even in a parking lot is crazy.

Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks Bob

Jester Guest

If you measure the length of the pitman arm and post it, I will let you know if its different than the one I just put on. Mine is from a 72 J-truck.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Sounds like the ratio of the box is the issue to me. The Pitman arm length will make the steering a bit slower or quicker, but there are different ratio boxes and some significantly more or less than others.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

If Leo Porter is still at Midway Supply in Irving, Tx, he sold a different length pittman arm to quicken up the steering after the swap to the Saginaw box...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Got mine from Leo 4 years ago or so. My gear box is off of a Chevy Camero 80's I think. Works fine.

Mine from a 77 wagoneer is also causing a huge turning radius. This is with the pitman arm from the waggy. I need a longer arm is my understanding. It appears the wheels don't travel to the turn stops, but I haven't even investigated it. There was a recent article in JP about too short of an arm limiting turning radius. Sounds logical.