Thread: It's on the shelf...

Default It's on the shelf...

I've been taking a perverse pleasure lately in my last couple of projects. Namely the capability to start and COMPLETE a project with stuff I have on hand, no/or very small trips to the parts or hardware store! A little background may be in order here...

I've been building jeeps of one sort or another since about 1999. Along the way I've started accumulating parts for several projects. The last big parts buying spree I had was when I bought a Scrambler and was planning on doing a complete frame-off. Many of those parts were re-purposed to my M-715 (the steering box, shaft, and such). Many have sat on the shelf for a NUMBER of years as I've gone through other projects like building a nicer shop to work in, etc.

Within about the last month or so, I've had some GREAT luck cleaning off the shelves and getting some projects on the truck.

A couple of examples:

1) Built an entire cage out of what I had on my steel rack. I've had some of that stuff in storage for a while. The last time I bought tube to bend, I was paying $1.75 per foot for 1.75" DOM, it's now over $4/foot! Now I'm trying to figure out what else I need to build to clear off that rack and regain some space (hence the tube fender thread). It was also really nice to have all the brackets/tabs ON THE SHELF from the last cage I built. Also had the stock TJ seatbelts I'd been hording for a while handy to use. Total outlay for the project: $40 for some Copperhead Fabrication corner gussets.

2) Rear wheel leaking: my 14-bolt has been leaking on the driver's side since the 1st drive. R&R'd the hub, new seals, no leaks... Had the seals ON THE SHELF.

3) Decided to put a locker in my front 60. Had the locker, Dana 60 master install kit, and outer-axle seals on the shelf. In teardown, one of my buddies thought he'd gotten me, one of the hubs on my 60 had taken a hit and the locking hub wouldn't come out. So I pulled out the brand new spare hub/rotor and bearing kits (2 complete pairs) I had ON THE SHELF!!! Total outlay for the project: $30 for inner axle seals and gear lube. BTW, if you haven't seen the outer axle seals, they are the bee's-knees... http://mad4wd.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=162

3A) during this process we determined that having a case-spreader would make life a lot easier. So I searched through the scraps pile and pulled out some 2x2x1/4" angle iron, pulled out some 1/2" all-thread, and built one, from just parts ON THE SHELF.

4) Built entire new front bumper with winch-plate. Had all the steel, and the D-ring tabs ON THE SHELF... Total cost: $8 for primer/paint.

5) Rebuilt complete rear frame section of a CJ-7. Had some 3X3 box steel and 2X4 box tube ON THE SHELF along with a set of slick-rock spring hangers, and bushings. Total cost: $0.

6) New valve covers. I've been noticing my stamped chrome nasty valve-covers have been leaking for a while now. So I pull out the cast aluminum, black powder-coated, flame-etched covers along with the nice rubber gaskets down from up ON THE SHELF. Total cost $0.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a packrat by any means. I've just had a long time to think about all the stuff I want to do to my truck, and now I'm finally getting some time to work on all of that. It's nice to see some of the planning and long-term acquisitions are finally paying off!!!

Also, for those of you who do a lot of these types projects, I long ago invested in a set of nut/bolt assortment bins, one grade 5, and one grade 8. I cannot tell you how much time and frustration these have saved me. Need a nut/bolt? go grab it from the bin. Got a nasty/rounded off bolt coming out? Replace it with a new one before you put it back on. I've refilled them a number of times over the years, but it's probably THE most used consumable in my shop, followed closely by blue shop-towels and brake-cleaner. If you're looking for something like this, Fastenal typically will sell you a complete kit from 1/4" to 3/4" diameter, they typically throw in the bin/racks for free too.

Sorry for the long rant, just had a good weekend in the garage and wanted to share.

Well looks like I'm going to have to dig a little deeper on my shelves. As of Monday, I'm without a job, but plenty of time to work on my truck.

Finished putting my front end back together tonight.

This afternoon I pulled all the bed bolts so I can pull the bed, finish cleaning/painting the rear frame and move the gas tank out of the bed when I get it rolling again. While I have it torn down to the frame, I'll also go ahead and clean up my rear fuel lines, wiring, vent lines, and brake lines.

I also wanted to get the rear bumper taken care of. Some IDIOT welded the lunnette ring to the frame (on BOTH sides of the frame). I had to hack at it with the plasma for a good 20 minutes to get it free. I have also determined that there is a SPECIAL place in the afterlife for the likes of the person who invented the Torx Bolt. But tonight I think I found him some company with the man who welded that lunnette ring on.

Sorry to hear about your job. Why did they weld a lunette ring to the frame? Did it serve a purpose?
    Wir müssen Leben bis wir sterben

Quote Originally Posted by Pineyguy View Post
    Why did they weld a lunette ring to the frame? Did it serve a purpose?
    Ya got me on that one, I was asking the SAME question. Looks like the nut was still in good shape... Only thing I can think of is to keep it from rotating like it SHOULD. Funny thing is that before welding it in they forgot to level it and it was cocked to the side a couple degrees.