Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.2 humvee diesel to sm465 gasser

Default 6.2 humvee diesel to sm465 gasser

So guys in considering my options i am trying to find what else i would need to buy for my swap.

Want to use a 465 that we can assume was behind a SBC 350 as most were?

So with that being said what will i need to make it bolt up and function with the diesel?

The hardest item to find may be a flywheel. You will need one specifically from a 6.2 or 6.5.

Wow, you sure have lots of ideas brewing.

yeah i know i got a lot of stuff laying around and the reason i want to get this truck done is so when my brother in law gets home in mid to late august i can hand the keys over to him...

So as far as the mounting of the bell housing etc it is the same right?

So if i had one from a bbc or a sbc i would just need to go to napa and buy a diesel fly wheel to make it work?
    Last edited by res0wc18; July 6th, 2009 at 03:27 PM.

holy lord they want 500 bucks for a new flywheel!

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Diesel pieces ain't cheap.......

I'm surprised it wasn't more actually.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Around 225 here. I have seen them in the junkyard but not often.

Default 6.2/6.5 flywheel

Are you pricing out a 6.2 manual trans flywheel, or a 6.5 dual-mass clutch flywheel? BIG difference in the two...

Advance Auto Parts sells new 6.2 diesel flywheels for $168.00 - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_389666000___

Clutch Kits: Clutch City Online shows same clutch kit used on '82-'93 6.2 equipped trucks - http://www.clutchcityonline.com generally has good prices on clutch kits - $175.00 - http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/04-087.shtml

Kit Includes:

1. Pressure Plate
    2. Clutch Disc (Friction Plate)
    3. Throwout Bearing (Release Bearing)
    4. Pilot Bushing
    5. Alignment Tool

Tanner

500 dollars should be for a flywheel and clutch kit together. I know Napa has that kit to replace a dual mass flywheel for about that price. The starter nose cone on a diesel is bigger and wouldn't fit my gas SM465 bellhousing.

I had to cut some of the bell to get the starter to fit but I am using a cast iron 60's bell. Starter mounts to the motor so no problem there. I found a flywheel at a clutch / brake repair shop for $125.00 new. Get a clutch for a 454 and use the larger clutch disk. What my clutch place told me to do. Also had a lifetime Advanced Auto clutch sitting on the shelf, took it in and got a new one. Works as good or better and cheaper.

I did the same swap, ebay for the flywheel $99.00 new in the box, LUK flywheels was the manufacturer.
    Clutch linkage was a bi*th and the oil lines are a tight fit, had to modify the passenger side firewall to fit the 6.2 into the frame, stock mounting location on the motor mounts might be better to move the motor forward an inch or 2 but I used the stock tranny and drivelines so geomitry dictated where the engine needed to live.
    had to also modify the bellhousing to fit the starter if you find a diesel bellhousing it should work without modification.

good luck.....