Thread: 715 body on m1008 frame?

Default 715 body on m1008 frame?

so call me crazy, but would it be possible and better to do so?

Certainly possibly.

Rollie did something similar, Think he used a suburban frame.

I'm not terribly experienced with that era of Chevy trucks, but I have had a few, one is a 1008. I do know of people who have had trouble with the frame cracking out around the steering box. Mine are fine, but they run stock tires and don't see frequent use. Pain to fix correctly.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

I'm sure Rollie will write something up when he sees this.
    I bought the one Rollie put on the suburban frame. I decided to buy this one to get all the upgrades in one shot; late model dana 60 with disc brakes, 14 bolt full floater, 700r4 automatic, tilt wheel, hydroboost brake system, 6.2 turbo diesel, and 40 gallon tank. I bought it as a running incomplete project. It's been a great truck and will do highway speeds all day, the ol lady can drive it anytime she needs. If you want to drive the truck as a daily driver and have to commute any distance it's a good way to go with out getting bogged down making brackets in case you don't the time or the tools.
    The radiator support was raised with a stick of 2x4 tube to raise the front clip. I used stock suburban rad supports from LMC truck here in KC. This is due to the fact that the 6.2 diesel sits high in the frame and the intake manifold looks like a high rise manifold to raise the total height even further. I could of lowered the motor and transmission but I didn't. The cab front cab mounts were almost spot on. The rear cab mounts I plated both sides of the floor with some 3/16 plate I had on hand to move the rear mounts closer about a 1.5 to 2.25 inches. The bed mounts were made by Rollie and work okay. The suburban frame is longer than the stock frame so there is a gap behind the cab unless you going to cut the frame. I'm thinking of building a waste oil tank with or with out a tool box to run a mix with the diesel with out having to take up any bed space. The tilt column will require some cutting of the dash and I welded the stock suburban column to the kaiser rather than reinventing the wheel. Don't cut the wiring if it's in good shape just disconnect eveything to get the truck running. I was having some wiring trouble so I bought a 18 circuit street rod E-Z wiring kit on ebay and did all the wiring in one shot.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Jeff

possible yes, better, i don't think so.
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

M715 frame is boxed most of the way back and a heck of a lot stiffer and stronger.

GM frames are noted for being a bit flexible. The 1008 version has a lot more bracing added as part of the military contract, if that tells you anything about its stock strength.

Were it me, I'd adapt whatever drivetrain you choose into the original frame unless it was damaged beyond repair or rusty.

Oh, and the 715 bed has that toolbox under it that may pose a problem getting the bed to align with the cab properly.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

yeah i would have thought the frame etc one the modern trucks would be much stronger etc etc.

Or i could put the 715 body on a f350 frame

Hey Jeff,

You don't know how much it pleases me to see my old truck getting improvements to make it into a good driver. I hope it really works out for you.

As for the idea of using an M1008 as a base, I personally like the idea, even better then the Suburban project. In addition to most of the benefits you mentioned, I like even better the idea that the M1008 already has 4.56 gears, allowing even bigger tires without lugging it down too much. I believe your Suburban chassis has 4.10's which were a little steep for the 38's I had on it when I had it. The M1008 should also already have a locker in the rear which is nice if it gets used offroad. I'm not sure about the wheelbase comparisons, but I'm sure with a few minutes of research we could find the answer. I think the M1008 came with a TH400 tranny, which I would probably keep or change out for a 700R4 if needed. As for the 6.2 engine, I personally have really enjoyed them. With a turbo and a rebuilt injector pump, they have plenty of power abd provide good fuel economy. When I added the turbo to your engine , I did not turn up the injector pump. If you haven't already done it, then turning it up or even better replacing it with a rebuilt one will allow the turbo to really make a difference.

res0wc18,
    I see we are neighbors. Now that you brought it up, I am kinda lookin for an M1008. Any good deals here in Washington?
    Last edited by rollie715; July 1st, 2009 at 02:28 AM.

m715 WB is 126
    M1008 WB is 131.5 (not sure on that last half inch)

that is five inches different. it will show up.

i am glad you had good luck with the set up Rollie. IMO frame swaps are in almost all cases a bad idea. the hassle that comes along with it makes the "easy" part of it not worth it. and if you are that displeased with the 715 frame, building a custom frame is only a welder and few sticks of 2"x6"x .188" or .120" wall tubing and a chop saw away.

ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

im wondering if it would be better to just sanblast the frame and take some quarter inch plate and continue box it in all the way back....

Anyone boxed the frame in on these things? Over kill or good idea?

Also when you guys where cleaning up your frame to paint etc how did you get into the inside of the boxed frame to kill the rust etc etc?