Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a soon to be done deal?

Default Opinions on a soon to be done deal?

I should be picking this up within a week or two in trade for my bike. Apparently it runs/drive well, he has a registration, and the frame seems to be solid. It looks like i'll either need to learn some welding or source a new cab though, heh.

What do you guys think? Bearing in mind this is in the northeast...

New cab would be best since the inner parts of the cowling vent system are probably shot as well. Unless you are paying below about $800 for the thing. You could do better finding a non rusted truck and traveling to get it. It really just depends on how bad you want it, how much you want to spend now and how much you want to spend over the next few years replacing just about everything. What is your time worth?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Is your bike a schwinn? If it is then this might be a good deal.

Run away?

If there is that much rust visible, I'd be VERY worried about what you will find when you get it.

You will be able to do better selling the bike and buying a better truck.

Zach

Looks like a super $ suck to me. There really is no welding thin rust pocked metal. Pay 3x as much for a better starting point and you'll still be $ to the good in the end. Plus you'll be on the road a million times faster. You see a lot of classic rust bucket projects for sale cheap and every one is someone's dead dream. If you're in the "learning to weld" phase this may be too much project. All this is assuming a restoration. If it runs/drives and you need a firewood/hunting truck....five gallons of bondo and a case of beer might do it. Stuff the crushed cans in the holes till filled, then add bondo.

Get it for parts seems like theres a lot of them there. keep looking for a better truck thats ones got too many issues GOOD LUCK

I have a friend in N.J. who says that most of the M-715's are rust buckets out on the East coast. If you have the means to haul a truck I would not buy that one for a starting truck. It does however depend on what your bike is worth. Are the rest of the parts on the truck? Does it have a good tailgate, black out lights, top bows, top frame sides? Is the drive train stock? If so, are you planning on staying stock? Think hard of what you plan to do with the truck, if you are planning on an off road/trail truck and don't mind a rough body it may fit the bill. I have found many times that when I get too excited about a find I pay too much. Like mentioned above, it could be a parts truck. Check out the fender flairs on the outer edge, where they are folded over, to see if they are starting to blister apart. also check the stake pockets on the bed, they start to blister apart, and separate from the bed rail so to speak. Check the kick panels under the dash, if there are holes starting or rust forming, you will find that when the fender is removed the drain hole will be plugged and you will also most likely find holes all over the cowling.
    I don't mean to set a negative tone for you. I just hope you can learn from my mistakes.
    Good luck with your decision.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Definitely looks like a fixer-upper in the worst way.

The biggest concern I see is the rust in the hard to find panels, like the front cowl and radiator support, the rear cab and bed floor. Nothing is unfixable, but it will certainly require a lot of fabrication skills and time to do it.

If its a stock drivetrain, then you may be looking at some major issues there too, if it doesn't run, or needs any major repairs.

I'm with Barrman on the price of $800 or less......preferably less.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The gas tank sure is RED.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Well, i was mostly looking to make it a trails truck, maybe drop in my 360 and then down the road swap bodies/bob out the rust if it's on the right end of the bed, lol.

Is there anyone in the area willing to check it out a little before i drop the cash to haul it home? I'm not afraid of work, but if the unseen parts of the frame are trash, why bother?