Thread: Fording Ex Pipe Cap

Default Fording Ex Pipe Cap

I have seen these Exhoust Pipe Caps listed on e-bay.
    They post it as for a 715 as well as other MV's. But I really don't think it was ever put on a 715 in service. Was it? Or what MV was it made for?

From E-bay

Also though I would post a couple of pic's of one of the 715s we are working on. This one is stock except for the lift. We are not going to do a full restore on this one just get it back in good stock running shape. body is pretty good. Never been a fire truck. I've had it for years in storage before we started just a couple of months ago working on getting it back on the road. I run 44 mudders on it years ago. In my early 20's

After setting for 20 years. We put good tires on it, pulled the valve cover and turned the motor over by hand and watched each valve work, We hooked a fuel line to a gas can,Installed new batterys and it fired right up.didn't have to touch the points or plugs. Didn't expect that. So far we have replaced all belts, hoses,Radiator, changed oil in every, Fresh battery box (Thanks Porkchop), Worked Brakes, Got all lights working, Installed new windshield and cow rubber, Installed new exhoust system, Greased everything. To do in the next month or so rebuild king pins, Finish installing complete Deep water kit, Rebuild rear output on transfercase. Leaking pretty bad. Top and some other small parts on the way from vintage. Going to have to rebuild the window tracks, I got the window drop to the botton shock just the other day. clip poped off. Thanks brute for your post on this the NAPA clips are on the way.
    All for now.

Gosh, I think I recall seeing that type in the M211/M135. Mounts on the dash.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

That truck looks like a real peach. If mine looked that good and ran that well when I got it I bet I'd have left it alone too.
    Nice keeper.

If you look at the air filter housings, they have a bell shaped piece on the snorkel...you take that of when mounting a fording tube to the same location of the canister and move the bell shaped piece to the new end of the air cleaner system, the end of the fording stack.

The flapper type were not used on the M715...no mil vehicle I know of but it is possible on the "semi" type trucks, cant rule that out.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Thanks fng. Brute if you look at pic's i've got the intake bell changed to fording intake pipe. Doug mounts on dash in a 2 1/2 ton? Not going to use that on our 715's. Didn't think it was used on the 715. Thanks guys

I take it you only recently installed that fording kit? The exh pipe wont stay on very long, it was meant to only be used to get the truck ashore then asap removed agian, and to that end it was poorly built. Unfortunatly the brackets are just spot welded to that mesh around the pipe and vibration from driving will quickly cause the brackets to break off! I broke 2 before I realised they arent up to being left on unless you modify the construction. The rest of the kit is durable just not the exh. stack. That truck looks good, very complete.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I see you have it there...I was just giving the fording kit instructions from the manual...in shorthand...so others would know what is stock/correct for the M715.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

George Yes we have just put the Fording pipes on. I was wondering how that would hold up myself. Thanks for the insight into that.
    Brute Has anyone done a Fording kit instill and Tested it out. Not by driving it into deep water and letting it set. But with low pressure and Vac Insturments to verify the system is working properly?

Thanks for the info

Dont know of anyone using test equipment...In the manual it says that the first check to see if the system is working is to watch the trans shifter boot...if the fording system works correcly, the boot will inflate.