Thread: Spring over, Shackle Flip questions

Default Spring over, Shackle Flip questions

Here in the near future I am planning on doing a spring over on the front and shackle flip on the rear of my 715. But before I tear into it I have a few questions. First of all, on the front axle perches, I have heared that making them longer than the originals will give you less axle wrap, or is less likely to hop, is this true. Next, where did you guys get new, longer brake lines, did you go with rubber or steel braided? Also what did you do for shocks afterwards? I am planning on using my suspension to its full extent, so do I need to measure from each shock mount when my suspension is at full droop and then at full compression for both front to rear and have some custom ordered or can I go to a local parts store and get some off a shelf?

By the way, anyone here that has put a big block into their 715 ever twisted a drive shaft, I wondering if I have that to look forward to?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by scottsmyth View Post

By the way, anyone here that has put a big block into their 715 ever twisted a drive shaft, I wondering if I have that to look forward to?
    Can't speak for the spring-over (yet) but as far as the Big Block, no, I haven't twisted any driveshafts off yet.

I am around probably 360 HP or so with stock gearing and t-case, and 38" tires.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

As for twisting driveshafts, I've never broke any driveshafts or u-joints, but have broke 3 axles, two on the front and one on the rear. I was running 44's and a turbo diesel 6.2. From what I hear, it is not difficult to break a front axle with huge tires, but the rear is a lot stronger. I twisted the rear while pulling a log up to the campsite on a wet sandy beach.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Honestly, I can't say I have personally seen as many driveshafts twisted and broken as I have axle shafts.

Of course I have seen Rockwell stuff twisted and broken too. Depends on how much skinny pedal you like to apply...
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

You could always use the old hot rod trick, paint a thin straight line on the shaft and every now and then take a look and see if she's still straight, works great for axles too.
    I used to run a 340 dodge dart and the drag strip, high 9's and this line always worked well as a check up when looking at shafts and axles.