Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Member - Diff Between M705 & M715?

Default Newbie Member - Diff Between M705 & M715?

Hello everyone, my name is will
    I joined today, so im a newbie to the site. But I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me, everyone seems quite knowledgable.
    What is the difference between the M705 and the M715. Am I correct that they are both Kaiser-built vehicles of the same basic design? I could only find a single picture on the net, and that came with no specs or anything.
    See, I am writing a book on US Military vehicles of the 20th Century in honor of my uncle, who served in Vietnam, and all other veterans of course. I am sort of stuck on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Will

This is all I know about them:

in late 1969, the last M715's to be produced in Toledo, Ohio, 43 of them in all, were ordered by the US Army as prototypes to compete for a normal mobility vehicle contract with the trucks pictured here. The normal mobility vehicle was to be used in rear areas while a different 1 1/4 ton for high mobility areas was to be used in forward areas. The M561 Gamma Goat was the vehicle selected for the high mobility contract. While these 43 M715's had a few minor improvements, they were essentially the same as the regular production M715's. Chevrolet was the manufacturer of these competitor designs. The cargo version was identified as XM705, the ambulance was labeled XM737. While few details about the powertrain are readily available, the following is known about the XM705/XM737:

Engine--V8-307 cubic inch--144 horsepower @ 4000 RPM (Note: One source lists 156 HP)
    Transmission--4 speed
    Transfer case--2 speed
    Curb weight with winch--6929 lbs.
    Length--204 inches
    Width--84 inches
    Height--104 inches--reducible to 73
    Wheelbase--135 inches
    Tires--9.00-20
    Suspension--semi-elliptic leaf springs
    Price--approx $5400
    Note: The M715 price was about $1000 less per vehicle but the XM705 was considered, by those who tested it, to be a superior vehicle of high quality and perfomance.

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

do any of these vehicles exist ?

yes. A M705 sold on GSA in Michigan last year.

Talking

Wowee...
    Couldn't have hoped for a better reply. Now I know where to direct my research efforts. See, I find these vehicles very interesting as they were truly military versions (albeit quite mil-modified) of commercial Jeep vehicles. And a cool one at that. I grew up a real Jeep person, my dad taught me well. He started Eastern 4-Wheelers, a big off-road club now here in CT, although he's not involved any more with it. I plan to devote a good portion of my works to the M715 and your imformation is so very helpful. Thank you so much!!!!!!

Wink

But so the vehicles you have pictured were the competitor vehicles to the XM705, built by Chevrolet?
    I wish I could find some US Government pics (public domain) of the XM705 etc...
    Also, do you know the XM--- numbers of the Chevy truck competitors?

XM705 is the chevy entry. XM715 is the Kaiser entry.

The XM705 on GSA had been converted to a brush truck (red paint, brush bars, etc.). Overall it looked relatively complete in the pictures.

There was also a Chevrolet built XM737 ambulance that competed with the XM725...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge is available here! From XM705s to water heaters....you name it! Who knew?!

Kwai, do you happen to know what the 705 went for? And were you a bidder?
    -- Tim Taylor

Sorry to take so long to respond. But thank you very much everyone. This has been a great help.