Thread: Munitions trailer??

Default Munitions trailer??

Could someone tell me anything about this trailer I picked up? I figured it is some type of munitions cart or something like that. I pulled it out of a scrap metal pile at the junkyard for $25.00. (It's green, I couldn't pass it up)

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Looks like one of those bomb carts they use to wheel a bomb under the wing of an aircraft.

I'm sure someone knows exactly what it is though......

Neat score though for sure. I'd put a giant cooler on it and fill it with my favorite cold beverages.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

ran pictures by 2 different ex-ordinance people at work. neither recognized cart as bomb or mine cart
    the apparent lack of lift mechanism has me baffled
    One of my maintainance men used to work for rockwell during B-1 A time period. He seems to think it was a jet engine cart.
    I hope somebody knows for sure.
    It would hold one heck of a big cooler.

Whats with the tail lights? Curiouser and curiouser.....

500lbs
    http://www.fototime.com/AFB975AB77C457E/orig.jpg
    Drop tank
    http://www.cybermodeler.net/history/...es/52365ac.jpg

Some winches, used for hoisting were installed only for loading, then removed for flight.

The wheels look like they belong on concrete. I guess the clevises on the sides are for straps? I bet there is an old timer at the nursing home that could tell us a thing or two about it.

Justin

I agree that it must be older. The newer stuff has a different draw bar on the front. Sorry I didn't say so earlier but those are just tubes on the front wheels. It had a 4.00 x 8.00 tire on it, or at least what was left of one. Here are a couple more pics that might help to date it. Also I can't find that it ever had a tag attached to it anywhere, just a serial number stamped on the frame of it. Plus it came with this "Spring Compessor" in the tool box.

Thanks Again
    Tim W.

Tail lights are 1950-1960's vintage.

The drawbar looks like the ones from the M274 military mule. Put it in a early 60's vintage. The compressor assembly may be refering to the compressor assembly of a jet engine. Small tires are definitely not for offroad. More like what would be used on a air force base. Lights are also early 60's.

Aerol is still in business. Contact them with pics and see if anybody recognizes it.

Just my 2 cents, but I don't think it was for carring jet engines. Jet engines were about 10'-17' long, 2'-4' in diameter and weighed about 10,000+lbs.

Plus the lack of a lifting system makes me wonder about it being used a a munitions hauler.

And the cart looks like it's less then 5' long, so I think it was used to haul 55 gal drums around. It would be about the right size to haul the drums on thier side and they could easily be supported by pnumatic tires.