Thread: Diesel shuts down after 1-2 miles!

Question Diesel shuts down after 1-2 miles!

I am still on the front side of the learning curve on diesel engines and could use some help/insight on this problem. The 6.2 starts and runs like a champ but after 1-2 miles at 50-60 mph it shuts down as if it is out of fuel and will not restart right away. If I let it sit for a few minutes it will restart and go again - for another 1-2 miles! Does this sound like a clogged filter issue or something else? FYI, tank is full. Also, the fuel filters on the 6.2 are the in-line type. Are there any merits to converting to the larger, canister type like are found on heavy equipment? I was looking at the filters on the neighbor's combine and wondering if that might be a better way to go.

Sounds like grud or water in the filters to me. Yes, the cansiter style or for that matter, spin on style are better in my opinion. As long as they have the butterfly valve drain on the bottom that is. Being able to see what is in the filter and get rid of it at the same time is a big plus to me.

My M35A2 did something similar back in the winter. I had driven it 220 miles with no problems, topped off the tank and 1 mile later I was on the side of the road not running. Repeatedly draining all 3 fuel filters showed lots of crud and a little water. I was able to go almost 2 miles before the process had to be repeated. After the 5th draining on the side of the road, I was back to full speed and full song again.

Does the 6.2 need an uplift pump?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Sounds like you are starving for fuel somewhere.
    I'm assuming this is a 6.2 you have in your M715 or other non original vehicle. How is your "lift pump"? That would be what most people see as a conventional mechanical fuel pump mounted on the lower right side of the engine. It's job is to pump fuel up to the injector pump. Without it, a good primed system may run fine for awhile but will eventually starve for fuel if demand exceeds the injector pumps ability alone to pull from the tank. It is possible that later models, or I know the 6.5 used an electric lift pump mounted somewhere underneath such as on the frame.

I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out to be a bad lift pump.

Or maybe it is an electrical problem. The pink wire going to the injector pump opens up the fuel valve and without it, your engine will run out of fuel.
    Last edited by rollie715; June 2nd, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Default 6.2 shutdown

ok heres whats happening- the housing pressure check valve is stopping up. it is in the little 90 deg elbow that the fuel return line on top the pump fastens to. the advance ring on older pumps is phenolic (plastic) and over time it deteriorates & the particles stop up the valve. it is a high pressure valve with a glass ball in it. you can dig it out & it will run but the pump will lose it's prime unless you park it nose down at a steep angle. when these stop up the engine will shut of & in a few min it will crank up & go again. as the valve stops up more the time intervals will change, taking longer to crank back up & shorter run time. check everything else 1st but it may be time for the old inj pump rebuild. most pump shops just exchange them now. i think in the $250 - $ 300 neighborhood. ain't dieseling fun? hope this helps.
    andy

I have also seen this happen when the fuel tank pulls a vacuum. Next time it happens open the fuel cap and see if it releases vacuum. andy is probably right, but this would be a quick check item.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Richard, I'd check the filters first, but more likely than not, its the injector pump like Andy said.

Hit the local parts store for an exchange.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks everybody, I will replace the filters this weekedn and look into adapting a canister type onto the firewall. If that does not fix it (based on the white slimy stuff inside the filler tube it may be gunk in the filters) I will look into the other suggestions.

That stock filter is almost worthless.
    The newer spin on filters are worth it, no matter the reason for you problem.

Hey, $200 to $300 for a new injection pump. Not fun, but not bad compared to the newer diesels! I bought a hot rod one for my cummins, $1700!!!