Thread: body mounts

Default body mounts

what are you boys using for body mounts? i don't like the way the factory mounted it with those wimpy rubber donuts, springs & only 3/8' bolts. i was thinking of turning me some donuts out of some nylon round stock & raising the cab up about an inch or a little less. my truck has had a problem in the past of the radiator bottom tank rubbing the diagonal frame supports underneath, & i don't want that problem again. what do you think? thanks!
    andy

I just mounted mine with nylon round stock. I made them all one inch thick and just bought all new bolts. I dont have any pictures of it but it worked out really well. I even removed the rectangle spacers at the core support and used a 1 inch nylon bushing. If I remember correctly I used mostly 3/4 inch bolts except the core support and the rear of the cab where the springs are. I used the same size bolt for those 2 locations.

IIRC, someone used cj replacement mounts from Rancho and they worked well.

I'm currently playing with using poly rods and making my own.... Not cheap so far, but I have access to the right tools.

Snuffy

I'm using body mount rubber. It comes in 24" lengths, about 3" o/d with about a 1" hole in the center. Just make it whatever length is required. I made the front 6 mounts (2 @ rad support and 4@ cab mounts) 2 inches long, providing roughly 1.5 inches of body lift. Also made new thimble washers for the mounts, lower mounts, and used 1/2"- grade 8 bolts and self-locking nuts(Nylock-type).
    Will probably do the same for the bed. The 1.5" lift along with the s/o and shackle and mount flip provide enough clearance for 42/15/20 tires on 20x11 wheels with 3.5" b/s, no trimming was required at this point, but will wait and see after bumper and winch mounted.
    Last edited by Roy; June 4th, 2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Addl info
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Boat trailer rollers.
    Item J in this picture. About $10 for a 20" stick. One stick did my whole cab and front clip with about 2" of lift to clear the xfer.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...SSSELL_PRODUCT

Comes pre-drilled with the perfect sized hole to.