Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum lines

Default Vacuum lines

Hey everybody, still making progress despite a few setbacks the last few weeks. I got the pistons in, head on, valves adjusted, plugs set and installed, I even think I got the right order on the distributor to the plug wires.

I now need a little help. I am trying to figure out the plumbing on the vacuum/fuel pump. All the lines I got were lying in the passenger floorboard, all rusty and crungy, some of which were bent and wadded into balls (great!), and the engine had a civvy fuel pump to boot.

I have looked at all the reference materials I could find for some kind of diagram or anything that would explain the routing and placement of the lines. No soap.

IF...and I do mean if I HAVE to I guess I could go without the vacuum wipers but doesn't the engine itself require some kind of vacuum setup in order to run? There is a 90 deg. elbow on the drivers side of the head that has two stubb lines attached to it. What is this for and if it's not necessary could I just plug that off and it still run?

If anyone has a lead to where I could find such a chart or is willing to take the time to explain the routing I would really appreciate it very much. I'm out in the garage right now working on this as I type so I'll keep watching for a quick reply. Thanks for the knowledge......T

Send you to school and buy your books....LOL

Vacuum Lines

It doesn't show the metal lines but you should be able to figure it out.

The wife took the camera so I can't get any pics for ya.
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Cool, I looked at that just prior to posting. I was kinda hoping someone would have a few detailed pic's laying around. I'll try to use these charts and figure it out. Thanks WH.

If you can wait untill Tuesday i'll get some detailed pic's of the lines and fuel/ Vac pump.
    This link may help out some. http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=20chap2-11

Correct me if i'm wrong but, I'm pretty sure Vac pump side of fuel pump is only used for wipers.

Crash, thanks for the link, bigg help. I really must hone my search skills.

No correction needed...right on!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

So if I went with electric wipers I could block or plug everything vacuum associated?

On a stock 230, the vacuum that runs through the ignitor housing and goes into the head on the drivers side front is pretty much essential...this is used to keep the ozone level vented from that sealed housing...it builds up from the arcing points and the ozone eats up the military distributor cap quickly.

If you just mean the vacuum pump not being needed if you go to electric wipers, yes, there is no reason you cant delete all the connections on that part.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Brute
    Thats a new one on me about the vac to the distributor cap. Thats engine Vac correct? I'll have to check that next week.