Thread: Rear axle and hub removal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rear axle and hub removal

I've removed the brake drum and lifting bracket. How do I remove the washers that are inserted in the axle flange? There's got to be a trick that I'm missing...

Assuming I get that off, what size are the innner and outer lock nuts? I don't have the wheel bearing nut adjusting wrench pictured in manual 244-20. Will a deep socket work?

This is the first time I've pulled the axles. I'm hoping the bearings have numbers the parts store can match up?

Thanks

If you are referring to those cone shaped split washers that are tight around the studs and appear to be embedded into the axle flange, take a hammer and tap on the outside edge of the axle flange, striking towards each stud. They should pop loose. Be carefull not to hit anything you could damage, and don't strike any harder than is needed.

The big axle nuts should be 2.5"

If you have good aim, a big sledge hitting inside the circle of bolts on the end will normally pop them out about an inch or so. You really don't have to swing it that hard to do it either.

Hitting on the side or the end will work.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

BFH. Don't worry about hitting it too hard. You aint gonna break it. Personally, removing axles and tie-rods with a BFH is one of my mostest favoritest jobs.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Personally, removing axles and tie-rods with a BFH is one of my mostest favoritest jobs.
    Next time I need some kingpins done in a 10 ton truck, I'll call you up......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Yep, lots of banging later they popped out far enough for me to grab them with some pliers. Thanks for the help!