Thread: alternator swap

Default alternator swap

I have the original Leece-Neville generator (NSN 2920-00-909-2483). One of the mounting ears broke off and I am looking at swapping in a more common alternator...preferably, a GM one or three wire alternator. Problem is I need this to match the 28 volts that my current one puts out. Any suggestions?

Chris

The Delco 10si or 12si alternators are what most people use for swaps. They can be had in 24V. Call your local alternator place and they can probably swap over one you have in 12V for you.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for the quick reply.

Will the stock generator's mounting brackets still work w/ these Delcos? What about wiring it up to the original wires?

Thanks again.

The stock alternator has 2 wires. A big one that brings power from the battery and back to the battery. The small wire is the exciter wire.

the Delco 3 wire alternators need the same big wire. Then they have a plug with 2 wires on it. The white wire is the exciter and the red should be looped back over to the big wire on the post. You might spend 5 minutes wiring in the Delco.

Mounting is going to be a "hold it up and see where the pulley lines up" kind of thing. The front tab on the stock mount should put you just about where you need to be. A washer or two might me needed to line things up just right. The tension adjust arm will probably work just fine as well. A little bit of grinding might be needed for full range of adjustment.

I put a power steering pump on the stock alternator mount and the alternator up above it. Here is a thread that shows my pictures since I can't do pictures at work anymore:
    Power Steering w/stock 230

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear about the wiring. Nice and simple.

Now just need to find a 10/12si in 24volt. Any idea what I could tell the guy at the Autozone that would use something in 24volt? Down here everything in 24volt is on a boat and that's just too much money.

Thanks again for all your help.

Agriculture, construction and industrial appilcations use 24V besides marines stuff. Try that.

Thank you, I really appreciate all the help!

Default alternator

i have a 28 volt delco set up as a one wire. i got it with the novak kit i purchased from the seller in florida. i will take it to my electric dude & get it checked out. $50 plus shipping if it checks ok. later!
    andy

We made an adapter bracket to mount ours, as it didn't really line up with anything... I just traced the old alternator and its bolt pattern on a piece of 1/4" steel plate, traced the new alternator in the middle of that, and torched out the shape it made... The new alternator I picked was a lot smaller than the original; if you use a bigger one, probably won't need to do this. (it's not little electrically - 12V, 150A, dual output - and I've measured it to really make this - just in a small package!)

--Randy