Thread: Michelin xl on stock rims

Arrow Michelin xl on stock rims

I like the look and size of the Michelin XL 1100x16's, but I see some people are running them on custom rims. My question is how well would they fit on the stock rims and what clearance problems would you have with a stock configuration? What are the actual dimensions of the tires?

While I'm on the subject, what other choices are there for the largest tires you could run on the stock rims?

I'm thinking I will probably go with a custom wheel and much larger tires, like in the 42-44" range, but was looking for an interim choice until I get the money and do a lift.

Thanks
    Rollie

Before Brute4c jumps in and reminds me where all this info is already posted, I just want to thank him for providing this great resource. Here's a previous post he made on the subject. Thanks Jon.

Tires that fit

Here's a small portion of the above post:
    STOCK RIMS- NO LIFT
    900x16 ndt 34"
    900x16 Co-Op Grip Spurs 36" 30psi (max50)
    Yokohama Geolander M/T 315/75x16. 36" tall.
    michelin 1100x16 38" 60psi (max80)
    Super Swampers 16/36/12.5 about 35"tall
    Super Swampers 38.5x1100x16's boggers 37" slight rubbing
    Super Swampers 37x13x16 Boggers just rub the spring at full steer with just a little of the largest lugs.
    Super Swampers 38-13x16 TSLs"nubb -nubb-nubb against front leaf spring at full stuff/full cramp, but no hard-hits as of yet.
    Buckshot Mudders 305/85R16 (36x11x16)
    Buckshot Mudders Q78 16LT

The XL and XZL tires in 11.00-16 fit the stock rims just fine. I have run my XZL's for more than 3 years now and not a rub yet. Agengr has had no trouble with his XL's. Binford and his XL truck did great at the FE last summer.

I know we had a listing somewhere with what sizes fit and what doesn't. I can't find it right now. Pretty much the 38" tall Michelins fit great. 13x18 Swampers rub. So, stay below 39" and thinner than 13" and you will be fine. Unless you want to start lifting stuff. I am storing a bunch of 12.50-20 XL's for Sermis. The more I look at them, the more I think they are a great M715 tire with a spring over. Since my class is doing just that to make these tires fit on a truck for Sermis, we will see if I am correct in a few months.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default xzl on cucv axles

if you swap in the slightly narrower cucv axles
    does it change the tires clearance on turns?
    do you need to run wheels with less backspacing?