Thread: Turning tan

Default Turning tan

My project truck is finally moving along. I've had it for 16 years, and I think 2009 will be the year that it really comes together. In the last few weeks, tires have come from the East coast (thanks Snuffy, Barrman, and kwai), other needed parts have been rounded up, I've located an upholstery shop that can repair my soft top, and I've finally got my paint stuff set up.

Barrman and his class have been working on my truck for some time now. They rebuilt a Chevy 350 from an old van I had, and are in the process of installing it with a Spicer 3503A OD 5 speed.

I have decided to go with tan, to match my M-35 which is next on the list for fixing up. I broke down the wheels from my parts truck this weekend, cleaned them up, and shot some Gillespie 686 tan on some of them just to prove that all of my equipment was going to work. I'm very pleased with the results. As many have said here, the Gillespie paint from Rapco is very forgiving, giving great results without a lot of headache. Here is a photo of today's progress, while its not much whats important is that I'm now geared up to move forward and a lot of changes can take place now.

looks nice hope your up running soon

Looking good. I like the way you hung them up.

I just walked across the room and measured. Your exhaust is 2" OD.

Colton has a 1000 baseball game Saturday. We will leave the house around 0915. we should return around noon. You can show up early, get started on the XZL break downs and just keep going while we are gone or come in the after noon. Doesn't matter to me.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Point of inquirery

Pistolnut,
    With the anticipation of driving your 715 at highway speeds, did you make that modification to your Spicer 3053A transmission?

What transmission mod? We installed a 3053A, but didn't touch it internally.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tarbush 8 View Post
    Pistolnut,
    With the anticipation of driving your 715 at highway speeds, did you make that modification to your Spicer 3053A transmission?
    Not that I know of, are we missing something?

Default Spicer 3053A mod.

Pistolnut and Barrman, I've been following your threads as I'm gathering parts to do a similar 715 upgrade. While perusing the net to learn more about Spicer 3053 trannys I came across an informative website for a company called Waterloo Specilties Transmisson Division. //mysite.verizon.net/milveh/transmission/overdrive.html
    Their located at Marriottsville, Maryland.
    I find their analogy to make sence, particularly regarding higher running RPM BBCs, and the modification is pricey. Have yet to contact Tom Baurer.
    Check it out and please let me know your opinions.

Pistolnut when you get through at Tim's bounce on over and throw the motor in mine.
    Oh yeah free ATV rides when your through.
    Redneck1
    Tree, WHAT Tree officer?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarbush 8 View Post
    Waterloo Specilties Transmisson Division. //mysite.verizon.net/milveh/transmission/overdrive.html
    Their located at Marriottsville, Maryland.
    I find their analogy to make sence, particularly regarding higher running RPM BBCs, and the modification is pricey. Have yet to contact Tom Baurer.
    Check it out and please let me know your opinions.

A really interesting idea and probably a good solution to get more road speed from a deuce. $1400.00 is pricey indeed for me. I went with the 3053A because I got it free, I would have done the NV-4500 if I was going to spend that much. I am for now still running the NP-200 which I think is going to be much more of a limiting factor for my road speed than the transmission. I should pick up enough from the 11.00X16 tires that the transmission shouldn't have to work too hard. I'm not planning speeds above 60 or so anyway.