Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct Firearm?

Default Correct Firearm?

Just wanting to make sure the correct rifle for the behind the drivers seat mount. I want to start looking for one. Is it a 30 cal. carbine? I've also been told M-16? Which one should I try to find?

well you need both

ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

The .30 carbine was still in the inventory when Viet Nam started, but the primary weapon you would most likely find I think would be the M-16. Either one would theoretically be "period-correct". Of course the civilian equivalent to the M-16 is the AR-15, which in most areas is significantly more expensive. . .add that to the fact that the AR-15 is much more of a target for gun restrictions, . . .I don't know how the laws are where you are at, . .here they are ridiculous.

Don't forget the M-14...

Yes the M-14 ahhhhh. Oh back to the topic. The M16 of the Vietnam era would be the A1 variant with the triangular handguard and 20 round magazines. The 30 rounders came out in late Vietnam after out cry from the troops because the AKs and SKSs had 30 round mags. There were .30 carbines floating around as well as a myriad of other leftovers and odds and ends.

I agree with Ryan, you need them all!

I have a bullet hole in my drivers door.... I need to mic it and if its .30 roughly, Ill let it stay. Not a battle scar but would be caliber correct

Save money, you probally have a Model 12 or an 870-both are period correct (I know what you want, is a rifle). Well thought out plan!

You could do what I did, I just bought an airsoft M-16A1. Fits perfect and looks good until you get real close. I use it at all the car shows. I am going to get another one to go in the mount for the passenger. You can get them on ebay all the time. I bought mine for $21.

I actually tested the fit of an M1-A (M14), AR-15 (M16), and the 870. The rifles fit well enough but the 870 kept wanting to turn flat and twisted in the floor mount due to the 8rd mag extension. It wouldn't really impede carry as much as it might scuff about 1/4" up from the beauty ring (wafer between wood and kickpad).
    If I planned on transporting an 1800 dollar M1-A around I would definately put some plasti-dip on the retainer/handle of the mount too.....

Thanks a bunch everyone, the only one of those guns I have is the 870. I'll keep an eye out this summer and see what I can come up with. I need to get the gun mounts painted and mounted on the dash.

http://gamesfantasy.stores.yahoo.net/m16a2.html

This is the one I have. $22.95 after shipping. Just ordered another one for the other mount.