Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4bt NV4500?

Default 4bt NV4500?

Is there a preference between the Dodge or GM NV4500 behind a 4bt?
    any advantages or disadvantages to either version for an M715?

GM units (93-94) were built with a lower first gear ratio of 6.34 to 1.0...the rest are 5.61.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

There are heavy duty units as well, diesel/gas. Also the dodge main shaft is longer by about an inch.

Jester Guest

i would say that the advntage would be with the dodge 4500. if you can get one originally from a diesel and also get the sae round flywheel housing for the cummins, of have one on your 4bt then it should be a bolt together afair.

the other option would be using the GM with a 4bt that had the GM pattern flywheel housing on it, although it would then have the slight tilt to it.

the diesle dodge 4500s have a 1 3/8" input and a 29 spline output.

the gas dodge 4500 have an 1 1/8" input and a 23 spline output.

the GMs all had a 1 1/8" input with a 32 spline output. the GM input is shorter by ~1" as saxon said.

there are alot of other little tid bids that are different about these trannies.

ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

I am finding the 'GM tilt' to be a real headache at car shows when everyone is asking why the engine is tilted. Also, the Dodge flywheel/clutch set up is all parts counter stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by poolmike View Post
    I am finding the 'GM tilt' to be a real headache at car shows when everyone is asking why the engine is tilted. Also, the Dodge flywheel/clutch set up is all parts counter stuff.

I don't have that built-in tilt, but I had to tilt the engine/trans to clear the differencial, heater box and steering box. I'm still amazed the thing fit with no lift!

The early NV4500 units with the 6.34 first gear have an intergral bellhousing that is NOT compatable with the adapter plates found on a dodge.

The Dodge 4500s had the fifth gear nut issue. Granted with a 4B, I doubt it would ever rear its head, but you can either by an upgrade to fix it (lock nut to prevent losing the gear), or swap a dodge mainshaft in the chevy 4500 (that is the route I did on the J10 I did).

The dodge and chevy ratios are identical (I believe the only real difference was the mainshaft).

The titled adapter plates were for the TH475 automatics in the breadtrucks. I have pulled 3 chevy manual sets, 5 ford manual sets, and they were all no tilt.

Hope that helps some..... thats my 40% of a nickel

Almost forgot. There are gas and diesel (HD) dodge versions. The gas versions will have a 23 spline output, the diesel a 29. The chevy has a 32 spline output (all assuming 4wd versions).

Gas input was 1 1/8" while the Diesel was 1 1/4" IIRC

You can upgrade to 1 3/8" if you want to pull sleds!

Quote Originally Posted by tndonor View Post
    The early NV4500 units with the 6.34 first gear have an intergral bellhousing that is NOT compatable with the adapter plates found on a dodge.

The Dodge 4500s had the fifth gear nut issue. Granted with a 4B, I doubt it would ever rear its head, but you can either by an upgrade to fix it (lock nut to prevent losing the gear), or swap a dodge mainshaft in the chevy 4500 (that is the route I did on the J10 I did).

The dodge and chevy ratios are identical (I believe the only real difference was the mainshaft).

The titled adapter plates were for the TH475 automatics in the breadtrucks. I have pulled 3 chevy manual sets, 5 ford manual sets, and they were all no tilt.

Hope that helps some..... thats my 40% of a nickel
    i am not sure what you mean by integrel bell housing. the bell on all of the nv4500s is a bolt on aluminum affair. i have an early 6.34 first tranny in my truck, have owned at least one other early version and a couple 5.61 versions. all of them had the seperate aluminum bell housing. there is a difference in the bolt pattern of the bell to tranny case. if you are talking about the flywheel housing on the cummins, no GM tranny will bolt onto the dodge cummins as they have an SAE bell pattern.

you are right on the input size, the later version of the nv5600 has the stock 1.375 input and i had six speeds on the mind since i am trying to help a friend find a pull out

Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...