Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Fluid

Default Brake Fluid

I have been corrupted by evil forces and plan to make all of my vehicles DOT 5 type vehicles. I also have gallons of used brake fluid at work. So, I will have even more used brake fluid soon.

Does anyone know of a productive use for used brake fluid?

Thanks
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

can it be burned by diesels? or mixed with diesel? or used as hydraulic fluid in a backhoe, etc?
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

I would almost stay with DOT 4... DOT 5 seems scary especially if you don't re-do it every year or two...
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

That is what I always thought. That DOT 5 was a pain to install and needed lots of up keep. Yet, the more I read the TM's for military trucks and read report, research and personal experience statements. The more I think it is better in all regards except for purchase price. That money is off set though over time by not having to replace wheel cylinders, lines and hoses as much.

Rich,
    I know it will burn. I just don't know if it will mess up my IP seals on the multifuel. Otherwise, it would have been filtered twice and burned a long time ago. That is why I asked this. To find out.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Need to remove a ton of paint or eat the corrosion off a few zillion bolts?

Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Tim, I have been wondering if it could be filtered and re-used. Since it is silicone based(it won't eat rubber), I have been using it as tire lube. It helped me get my 395's mounted easily.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Got a waste oil burner to heat your shop? I'd guess it would do fine in there...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

In small enough proportions, I'd think brake fluid would do no harm in the Deuce. I always end up with a small amount in my WMO tank, and so far and about 5-7,000 miles later, no issues with the Deuce.

As far as the Silicone DOT5, we have used it for years in all of our restorations here at the shop and some of those vehicles are now in their 9-10 year range. Some cutomers service theor vehicles regularly, and some don't. THe ones that haven't and we finally do service them much later, seem to show no ill effects from the DOT5. It does look dirty just like DOT3 and 4, but I haven't seen any issue with moisture problems, the crytallizing of fluid like the old stuff, and no stuck calipers like motorcycles in particular are prone to when parked for extended periods. The cars we do have had no problems either.

This all said, we are almost exclusively starting with newly rebuilt systems with new lines, rubber, and good seals at all ends including the master cylinder cap where moisture seems to be introduced into the system easiest. Proper flushing and cleaning of an exisiting, working system is the most critical thing in conversions to DOT5. For larger vehicles, I made a setup to use an electric fuel pump to pump denatured alcohol through all of the lines to flush out under pressure any contaminants. After that, a pressure bleeder forces out anything else along with any air for a good working DOT5 equipped system.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Tim...I owned my M151 for 22 years. It always had silicone dot 5 in it. Never replaced a wheel cylinder and only replaced the MC once because I messed it up in while working on the clutch peddle. (MC brake and clutch peddle are all in one housing on a 151)...Maybe topped it off once a year at the filler nut but other than that never had an issue or problem. I really think there are a lot of old mechanic stories out there when it comes to Dot 5. Plus it's been in use with the US Military for over 20 years and I would think that if they were having issues with it they would have moved to another product. You don't fight a 2 front war with equipment that can fail... just saying.
    Zone holster maker

When I bought my duece 6 years ago I rebuilt all the brakes and went with dot 5. I flushed with two quarts of 95% IPA. I rebuilt every wheel cylinder, the master and the airpack. I have not seen any problems what so ever. I need some shoe's and maybe a drum or two but every time I open it to check it it's never changed. Not even a top off. You guys have been making me second guess switching. I think Dot 5 is better than people think.

Has anyone run Dot 5 after a flush only? Using the old rubber? Is it a known fact that it will mess up the rubber parts? Or could it be hear say?
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21