Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reincarnation tech questions

Question Reincarnation tech questions

Well I got the dodge 360 magnum and NV4500 in charlie kinda its being held by a crane and the tranny is supported by a jack stand wendsday I will fab my mounts.
    I can already tell that I'm gonna need a electric fan due to the taller than a sbc stance of this engine the lower third of the fan is below the radiator everything else looks good so far.The brake booster is a little close to the valve cover vent but that should be easy to modify and according to my measurements the atlas should fit good after cutting of the factory crossmember mounts.
    My 2 biggest concerns are the fabbing of the fuel system and exhaust.If it will runn with no exhaust the exhaust shop is only 300 yards from the shop but will a 96 magnum run with no oxygen sensors of will I have to tow it over there
    What kinda elecric fan fits the stock m715 radiator becuase I need to order one I guess.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

The Dodge should run without the O2 sensors connected, but it will set a code in the ECM turning on the Check Engine Light. No biggie for that short of a run. The O2 sensors really won't be doing much anyway until they get up to temp and that generally takes a mile or two of driving along with the sensor heaters operating.

For a fan, I hopped onto e-bay and picked up a Ford Taurus electric fan. They are rated at something like 4000CFM on high-speed (they are two speed motors) which is way better than any aftermarket fan I could find, and are relatively thin. They are also a LOT less expensive than anything aftermarket. I paid $60 plus shipping for a used one that looked like brand new. It keeps my Big Block Chevy cool just fine with an aluminum CJ conversion radiator.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Any idea what engine and year will be best and is your rad the same dimemsions as stock

Quote Originally Posted by M715AKACHARLIE View Post
    Any idea what engine and year will be best and is your rad the same dimemsions as stock
    Just hop onto E-bay and search for "CJ to V-8 conversion radiator."

It is a bolt in affair, fits the M715 radiator hole perfectly, and has the radiator hose outlets in the proper placement for a Chevy V-8 . That should work for a Dodge as well.

Any year CJ radiator is the same as far as the size and mount points.

Oops I meant the fan I'm gonna use the rad that's in charlie already since it kept the chevy engine cool pretty good considering all the stuff I asked it to do

The fan is for a 3.8 L Ford Taurus, I think it was about any mid-90's. Again, a search on e-bay for "Ford Taurus Fan" will get you a large number of hits.

Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...spagenameZWDVW

There are a bunch of them, but this one has the complete shroud too. I did a little trimming to clear the upper radiator hose, then made a couple brackets. Works great.

Well now I'm into the wiring nightmare.The plan was use the factory harness since I had the complete donor truck.the reality is that while sorting out the needs(ecm,sensors,check engine light)from the don't needs(cruise,abs lights,dodge headlight wiring,ETC) I realized the best thing to do with a HAYNES service manuel is wipe my arse with it! It shows the diagnostic port in the emissions section but in the electrical schematic it shows nothing about it and the only way I see to do it correctly is completly dissassmble the entire factory electrical system and refab with only what I need to plug in the engine harness,ecm,fuel pump and gauges.I am calling painless wiring tomorrow and checking on that route and checking on a factory manuel to see if they are more complete and accurate.Any other suggestions?

A custom harness is going to run around $750-800 to have pared down to just the essentials. I'd do it myself.

If you can scare up a full diagram of the factory harness you should be able to determine exactly what's necessary and do it yourself. It may take a while, but it isn't that big of a deal. Do you know anyone with access to Mitchell On-Demand or the like? There you can get the complete harness diagrams and have them printed out in color.

Default wiring harness :(

I ended up buying a factory dodge manual and the wiring diagrams are extensive and complete.
    My question is if I delete all the wiring I don't need from the Dodge harness.you know like the lights,interior, guages,abs stuff,and keep all the engine stuff will it throw a bunch of codes. I was gonna use the diagnostic connecter and delete the wires for the abs stuff and run the engine code light(check engine light)wiring into my interior to a light to alert me to problems.With this setup can I still use a tuner to hop-up my performance.And by the way I'm using caterpillar waterproof connectors for reliability.

ABS throws its own dedicated light. I know since mine's been on now for about six months. Brakes throw another one...same deal. *sigh* Seatbelts throw another dedicated light(don't ask). Guages throw yet another dedicated light and an alarm(at least if it's oil pressure or fuel).

02's will throw the Check Engine light(yeah, got that one, too) but the thing will run fine and indefinitely without them. None of the peripherals, even fuel pressure, appear to turn that one on so you should be safe(had a bunch of 96 to 00 Dodges and even when they changed the dash the warnings seem to have stayed the same).

We are Dyslexia of Grob. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated...