Thread: front panel question

Default front panel question

need to know which years J trucks front panel will work for my 715. I' m having a tough time finding 715 panel. I'd like to expand my search maybe I'll have better luck.
    Any ideas would be appreciated

They all will as long as you tin over the rectangular turn signal openings on some years.

Get one that originally came with round lights. You will have to do more work to fit your buckets into a square light version, and any of the 80+ (maybe late 70's as well) will have wrinkles in the rounded corners of the grille area.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

Looks like 79 was the start of the square headlights....found this for ya:

There were some cosmetic changes to the grill design over the years. The 1963 through 1966 Wagoneers had a small grill inserted in the front valance that is more commonly known today in FSJ circles as the "Rhino" grill. The new Super Wagoneer introduced in 1966 was the only Wagoneers with the new Razor style grill. Beginning in 1967, the whole Wagoneer line adopted the full width Razor grill with exception of the 2 door Panel, which retained the Rhino grill. The Razor grill was used into the early 1970 models. During the 1970 model year another grill style was introduced to differentiate the Wagoneer from the J-Trucks which had also adopted the Razor style grill that year. The grill introduced on the 1970 Wagoneers has recently adopted the "Cheese Grater" style name and was used through the 1973 model. From 1974 through the 1978 model year, the grille had same basic frame, but with a plastice grill insert known as the "Egg Crate" style. In 1979 AMC introduced one piece bumpers and square headlights for a whole new face lift on the Wagoneer. The grill had horizontal chrome lines and has a name not worth mentioning here. This grill was also used on the Cherokees and JTrucks in 1979 and 80. In 1981, JTrucks and Cherokees got the vertical bars back in the grill, which is known as the "Muscle" design. Wagoneers had the same grill as in 1979 through the 1985 model year as the classic Wagoneer body design transitioned to the Grand Wagoneer. The 1984 Grand Wagoneer also changed in the rear and adopted the 1983 Cherokee style taillights. From 1986 to the last Grand Wagoneer made in 1991, the grill frame was similar to the JTrucks and has horizontal lines with much less chrome. The following pictures depict the different styles.

I got pretty lucky and found one in the junkyard that had been replaced on a 72 Cherokee. I'm still finishing it up but looks great so far.
    My NOS bottom panel from VPW

Cutting up the old one and moving everything over. I had to weld up a few holes and remove the civilian headlight mounts and some other little things.

Almost done just need to fill in the top corners of the grill opening that they trim off for the full width grill (Thanks again for the pics John) and lay some weld in the wrinkles from poor stamping at the bottom corners of the grill. All in all pretty easy.

Default thanks everyone

thank you all for your input. the pics are great.