Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What were YOUR original hood numbers?

Hood Numbers:

The numbers found on the hood of military vehicles are divided into 2 parts. The letter/number code is referred to as the Registration Number, or sometimes the USA Number, and the Agency ID, which tells the branch of service, for example US Army. The Registration Number is put on the vehicle at the time it is originally built and it stays with the truck for its entire lifespan. Only in very unusual cases is it ever changed. Around 1964, the specification for the markings of the Registration Number and Agency ID was set at 3 inch figures. Only where space did not allow for the use of the 3 inch size was a smaller size allowable. The military technical bulletin defining proper markings indicates that, for the Agency ID, there should be periods after the U and the S in U.S. Army. Looking carefully at the pictures and illustrations in the same publication shows no periods are shown. Pictures from Vietnam show a mix of some trucks with and some without. It certainly appears that the abscence of periods is more common than the inclusion of them in this area. Placement is on the hood, on the sides at the edges and on the tailgate. On the hood, the Agency ID is on top with the Registration Number being applied 2 inches below. On the tailgate, they are in a line, not one atop the other.

What the numbers and letters in the Registration Number indicate is the subject of many inquiries I receive. Here is the information I have on this subject:

Starting in 1960, anything older does not apply, the hood numbers would look something like this example:

3A 0001

The 3 indicates a medium weight vehicle class. I believe this class runs from 1 1/4 ton to 5 ton. Any military vehicles, like 6X6's for example, with a load rating higher than 1 ton and up to and including 5 tons would start with this number. The A and the 0001 work together to show which number of medium weight vehicle built that this one is. A 0001 would be the first, A 9999 would be the 9999th one built. The next one, #10,000, built would be B 0001. Once 9999 were built as B's, the marking would change to C 0001 at number 19,999 and so on.

In 1968, the military changed the Registration Number system again and now included a year in the Registration Number as well. A sample of this style looks like this:

03A00168

The 03 still refers to the medium weight vehicle class.
    The A and the 001 work together just as described for the earlier system, though only accounting for 999 vehicles before changing to the next letter instead of the previous methods 9999 limit. The 68 is the year, 1968, and does not change for any vehicle made that year.

Due to the fact that ALL medium weight vehicles, not just the M715/M724/M725/M726's, are included in these numbers, trying to use the Serial Number stamped on an M7xx to establish the Registration Number for the truck in question, when the original is not known, becomes an impossible task. It is possible to create a period correct looking number but establishing that it is the correct one for a given truck just wont happen.

In the early 70's the system changed again to the system that is still in use today. So our trucks fall into one of the 2 methods above, unlike the WWII trucks and unlike the modern trucks as well.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

The only numbers I found are on the hood 03E74768, I'll have to do some more sanding on the doors to see if they match, I've already uncovered the stars. My front bumper is gone so I dont have that as a source. Is there going to be a page set up with everyones info?

This is my first post here. I've had mine for about 5 years but have never gotten it on the road. Looks like I'm two weeks away from registering it. My hood and bumper markings are both 03N95568. It seems to be from a unit in Germany from the speed ratings on the driver door giving the speed limits for the autobahn. Great forum by the way. I've gained a lot of info from everyone here. Thanks.

I had to re-read Brute's post again, and it was there near the bottom......the answer to my question. I wondered how my hood number was 3F6594 if they only made rougly 30,000 trucks in this family. That would be only like 3C9999 would be the highest or 3D0001 or close thereof.

BUT......this includes all trucks of this size, not just the 715 family. Probably civilian based trucks, non-combat base vehicles in this group as well.

Must have been breathing in too many fumes tonite...

Scott

Mine are 3F 5836 for my truck which was delivered 8/67. I've always wanted to gather a list of known Reg. #'s with delivery dates and vins to make a table listing. That way it would help people who were trying to remark a vehicle but didn't know the reg #s to find a set that would be close. They may not be exact but close enough. (IE in between known good #'s)
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Remember that the DOD did not order the 33000 M715's all in 1966 but instead in batches of determined numbers depending on many requirements; such as fiscale budget, service requirements, manufactures parts availabilities, or rate of replacement, etc. Also good number of M37s where sent to Vietnam during this time period while the 715s replaced them stateside and with units in Europe.