Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any advice.

Default any advice.

hi my kaiser is a pig to start.

iv just changed the plugs cleaned the dizzy cap and rotor arm. cleand the air filter. checked the fuel line.
    it only needs a little choke to catch it then its to much....
    the jeep starts on the button. but fires and ticks over for a a few moments.

then same again. it ticks over but dies out. i carnt detect a miss fire or any thing like that.

in stook and its drivign em crazy... as i flatten the batts b4 its up and running on meny occations.

can it be the carb> fuel pump> or any other thing u can tell me...

thanks....

I am not familiar with the 24V ignition system, but that sounds a lot like a bad ballast resistor, . .I don't know if one is used on the 24V system though. .

I think maybe fuel pump? I had the same problem recently, and it was fuel related. Will it start with ether? It doesn't need a choke normally. The coils go bad frequently. I killed two when I left the ignition on and forgot about it for a few weeks. Now I have two spares. They are only $35+ shipping, same kind was used on M37s.
    Feast or famine,

ware wud i find the coil then? n fyel is up to preasure. but i had the carb off and cleaned it.... it runs fine on tick over for around a minuite then dies. so i assume its to do with the mixture... so il investigate further this week.

and not tryed it with eather... is that liek the english easy start.

if so dose the engine not become dependent on it?

The coil is in the housing that the plug wires connect to.

There may be a ballast resistor under or by the coil...looks like a thick coin with 2 wires running from it.

Some coils have an external ballast and some have it in the coil...the coil is usually marked if it has an internal ballast.

thanks il get em chacked out. iv had the jeep running today and started set up of the carb. it ran amd ran for a fair time but on settign out to take for a drive the engine stalled and wud not start again. batts went flat and my started stook on... so start again another day....

sounds like a bad coil. If you order a coil, get 2. The coil is usually the first thing I replace when the truck won't start. Barrman and I picked up a truck that hadn't been run in 3 or 4 years. The motor was locked up. After dragging it through the pasture to get the motor to turn it would fire but not run. Changed the coil and voila, a running and drivable truck.

Change the coil.

Quote Originally Posted by chimesickle View Post
    I think maybe fuel pump? I had the same problem recently, and it was fuel related. Will it start with ether? It doesn't need a choke normally. The coils go bad frequently. I killed two when I left the ignition on and forgot about it for a few weeks. Now I have two spares. They are only $35+ shipping, same kind was used on M37s.
    Where can I find the stock coil at $35? I had one quoted at $90 last week.

Thanks!

Justin

Price depends on whether the coil is a nos american-made coil ($70-90 is typical) or a chinese-made copy for $35 which may or may not work or last very long.

saturn surplus, surplus city, vintage power wagons, midwest military, ablinn and others have the coils.

Quote Originally Posted by Maingear View Post
    Where can I find the stock coil at $35? I had one quoted at $90 last week.

Thanks!

Justin
    ABlinn email: ablinn@hughes.net

I just bought one from ABlinn for $32.50+ shipping. He has them all the time, probably has one on there now. I need a spare. I sometimes leave my ignition on, and forget about it. Then, both batteries are junk, and the coil too. Happened 2 or 3 times.
    Ebay Item #:290303303253

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
    Feast or famine,