Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starti'n rust repair

Question Starti'n rust repair

Starting to work on them holes thanks "be to god" Iv'e only got a few. Seen a post on a wile ago about the best rust coating to use I think it was called "RUST MORT"? And could be found at NAPA went on line to find it. No good any one can help? johnny

I've always been a big fan of the "cut it out and weld in new stuff" method. If not that then sand blast the devil out of it and start from fresh metal. I've never understood just coating over the rust and the problem goes away. Not only that but you know the structure is sound when you replace old tin-wormy panels.

Quote Originally Posted by fng View Post
    I've always been a big fan of the "cut it out and weld in new stuff" method. If not that then sand blast the devil out of it and start from fresh metal. I've never understood just coating over the rust and the problem goes away. Not only that but you know the structure is sound when you replace old tin-wormy panels.
    Depends on how bad the rust is.

If it is so bad that there are holes, yeah, cut and weld. If it is not bad, or on metal thick enough that is does not matter, scraping of the scale and using a chemical to change the rust into something else is fine and time proven.

Zach

Default Been cutin"

Been cuttin' And welden just need a way to coat the areas I'm not going ta cut just areas that are surface rusty . Going over every after I'm done.Then paint that lovely O.D.!!!!!! "GREETINGS FROM MICH."

I think you were looking for POR-15. You should buy it by the quart, not gallon, because when you open it, you have to use it, I guess. Also any moisture, even sweat dripping into the can ruins it. I have seen it on ebay, I think.
    Feast or famine,

I highly suggest using a rust converter, like naval jelly or Eastwood's Rust Converter instead of an ecapsulator like POR-15.

A converter chemically changes the rust (iron oxide) to something else, which is inert. You want to have the scale off before you use a rust converter.

POR-15 works by not allowing any more oxygen to the steel, there by halting the creation of rust. In theory, its great. In practice, not so much. Eastwoods also sells a rust encapsulator that beats POR-15.

I tested POR-15 by painting it on a tin lantern that was rusting, and hung it up outside to see how it would last. That was three years ago. by the end of the first year, you could see bubbles. By the second year there was peeling. Now there are huge sections of POR-15 that has lifted off. I would not use it on a car.

Zach

I have used POR 15 a couple times. I am not impressed especially about the costs. There are now better products out there. There was a paint test some fisherman did on a set of motor mounts on a salt water fishing boat a couple years back. He painted one side with POR 15 and the other with????? A year later he posted pics and the POR failed and the other stuff did not show any signs of rust at all.

I wish I could remember the name or had a link.

A lot of freakin help huh?
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I find that POR 15 doesn't work very well in an environment where it is directly exposed to weather.

Floorpans and underhood seem to do OK, but only on surface rusted metal If it is heavily rusted, it will come back using POR. POR also does not like UV at all, so it must be topcoated or it will weather through very fast.

Top coating it, you need to do while it is still tacky, or you need to use POR's etching primer. Its the only thing that will stick to dry POR. Not much else will once it cures.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Check out these two products...both are said to work really well...The must for rust is a more economical version of the picklex20... I have not done a comparison but both products are highly recommended.

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/must_...ver_inhibi.php

http://1323464.estore.networksolutio...taloglist.html

I have used Rusmort to convert the rust prior to preparation, priming and painting and have had great success.