Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Np205 with stock shifters?

Default Np205 with stock shifters?

Been reading through some old posts, but most deal with modified shift rails.

I just made a deal to pick up a rebuilt divorced Dodge NP205 with the cradle for $300 shipped. Yay me.

Anyway, I was wondering if I can use the stock M715 shifters with the stock NP205 shift rails. IE I don't need to control each axle independently. Stock M715's use one lever for 2WD-4WD and Hi-Lo right? Can I set the 205 up like that, or are mods necessary to run the stock shifters in any manner?
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ter/index.html

This might give you a better idea of how to go about it

Thanks, bu I'm not looking to mod my shift rails. Don't really care about the extra control you get rfom a twin stick. I just want to know if I can use the stock shifters with a stock NP205.

a buddy of mine that isnt on the web anymore has a set up like what your looking for. his is simple, mounts on the tranny which in his truck was a sm465 and he ran two rods to the t-case. works good for him, he said that when wheeling the shifters would bounce but he fixed that. used 4 ball ends with tube and allthread.
    my signature is sweet huh?

I'm hoping to use the stock shifters since I have them and they bolt up to the stock T98.

Makes things simple when it's a bolt on deal.

oh, should be easy. take the np205 mounts too and that would help alot. thats what my friend did, he took a 205 and cross member out of a old suburban and with a little bit of metal work it went in easy. ill try and find some pics.

i dont have a pic of his t-case. just the tranny sorry. if i see him ill try and take a pic.

to answer the question, yes you can hook the individual shift rails up to twin shifters without rail modification. you will not have the ability to have front wheel drive only, but as you said that is not important to you. the inside shifter will be high, low and neutral, and the outside shifter will be front drive engage/disengage. i was going to do the same thing, but i didn't have my stock shifters so i just left it single stick and made my own shifter

Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
    to answer the question, yes you can hook the individual shift rails up to twin shifters without rail modification. you will not have the ability to have front wheel drive only, but as you said that is not important to you. the inside shifter will be high, low and neutral, and the outside shifter will be front drive engage/disengage. i was going to do the same thing, but i didn't have my stock shifters so i just left it single stick and made my own shifter

Ryan
    COOL! Thanks!

That is what I was hoping to hear. The truck is going to be kinda stock. Stock apperance, height with a 230/t98A and the 205, so FWD doesn't matter much to me.

The deal also includes the crossmember. Both it and the 205 are powdercoated black.

Sux it has the slip yoke, but since I'm not lifting the trcik any it shouldn't be an issue. I also have tons of stock GM rear shafts that I can make work with it. The seller is tossing in the rear yoke, so all I need is to replace that front flange with a yoke.

a slip yoke rear, divorce mounted 205, who would have thought? shouldn't be to difficult to find a 1310 front yoke for that. the spicer style CVs all used them, and they are everywhere

Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...