Thread: WMS to WMS?

Question WMS to WMS?

On the road and came across an axle for sale, cheap, but cannot remember rear WMS to WMS on stock axle. What is stock on the M715's rear 70 and rim backspacing?

Great, and thanks! Do you think 80" is too wide?

80 wms to wms? That would be hard to fit in the fender even with extensions...

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    80 wms to wms? That would be hard to fit in the fender even with extensions...
    Yeah, that's what I tought. Too bad, good price, too.

80" WMS? what did they come out of?
    1967 M715 w/ 454 and TH400

Quote Originally Posted by 67M715 View Post
    80" WMS? what did they come out of?
    It's the stock rear axle from the CJ10A aircraft tug. A FF GM/Jeep 8 lug Dana 70 with locker (a few were positive track) these wide puppies came stock with 4.88 or 5.13 gears. Most guys that buy these rigs cut the entire rear off (whatt there is), extend the rear frame and hang Dana 44's or 60's under it. Makes a nice rig and the Dana 70's are sold for scrap or given away. The M715 is about the only vehicle I know that could come close to using the axle. I am looking into the possibility and cost of narrowing one side of one of these for my M715 (another possible option to the van 14 bolt).

Maybe if you used Hummer wheels it would be allright. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
    Maybe if you used Hummer wheels it would be allright. Just a thought.
    Stock M715 rear Dana 70 is 72.5" and CJ10A is 80", that's 3.75" more width per side. Since the stock rim has 5.5" of backspacing I don't believe the Hummer wheels would make up Much of the difference. How much backspacing does a Hummer wheel have?

Hummers have an 8" backspace. I would think you would have to cut and narrow the axle to fit the M715. Mosser is your best bet on this, but shipping will kill the deal unless you're getting the axle for free, then maybe it would be an ok thing.
    Zone holster maker