Thread: oil line problems

Default oil line problems

does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the oil line on the rear of the cylinder head off? it burst on me the other day and i'm having one hell of a time trying to get it off. i can't even get a wrench on it. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks
    Mike Grierson
    1967 M715

Man, you may just have to bite the bullit and get it off as best you can. Then replace the two elbow fitting and use a length of hard brake line in it's place. The nipple/elbows are a common size fitting.

The best thing I have found to do is to use the hose itself as a handle and tun the hose around like a wrench to loosen it...I have heard of another member who says a crows foot works.

I dont know that you have enough hose to do the first idea...

The easiest way to replace it is to pull the motor. I am being serious. You don't have to pull it all the way out just move it forward a couple of inches to get clearance. Remove the readiator, unbolt the motor mounts and tranny mount and jackshaft.

One of my trucks has a hole in the firewall that was cut to get access to the hose. I would move the motor before I cut the firewall.

PUt a packing blanket or something similarly thick yet soft on top of the engine. Lay down up there and undo the bottom end of the hose. Then do as Jon suggested by using the hose to spin the elbow out of the head. An open end wrench might be needed to loosen the elbow first. It will come out.

I have 4 spare engines at home and each has a different home made version of that hose on it. I put a nipple on the elbow and then stuffed neoprene fuel line over it. I had enough clearance to tighten the screw type hose clamp with a small socket on an extension.

When mine broke 6 years ago I posted up just like you did. I was told to cut the firewall. People even posted pictures of the "windows" they had. It will come out and you are not the first to have this problem.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I made a braided stainless hose to put back in...the factory used a metal line on the civvy motors.

To install the new line, you can usethe hose or metal line as a handle to turn the fitting in...hold the end low on the drivers side while lating over the motor and holding the fitting on the hole...then raise the low end so as to rotate the fitting and, maybe after a few tries, it will start to thread...

It is goofy, but it does work.

Years ago I had a oil hose on an International truck motor start leaking, it was a braided rubber hose that slid over barbed fittings. No clamps were needed, the barbs held the hose on. Might be worth looking in to.

DaveJ