Thread: New M715 Owner...Advice??

Default New M715 Owner...Advice??

I just bought a 69' model M715 on Ebay it is all stock except for a springover lift. The Jeep runs and drives fair. The main bad part is both rockers and cab corners are rusted out, along with a small portion of the doors on very bottom front corner. I only gave $1500 fot it though.
    I have a few questions

What are the stock engine trans and transfer case worth? I'd like to sell them and update the drivetrain.

I have 2 donor vehicles, which would be the best/easiest swap donor

I have a 88' 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 pickup with a freshly rebuilt 350, SM464 and a 241C transfer case.

I also have a 95' F350 ford pickup with 88,000 original miles, 460, 5 speed and BW transfer case, also it has a 60 front and I think 10.25 or 60 rear, it's 4.10 ratio. Any thoughts on any of this??? Thanks ahead of time for input!

Welcome to the fun.

Either donor truck will work. People have swapped out complete axles and drive trains just like yours in the past.

I hate to tell you this, but the stock stuff isn't really worth that much. Unless you find somebody needing it right now near you. I now have 4 complete engines and transmissions sitting in my shop that were free for the taking. At least 2 of them run great adn are ready to drop into a truck.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

the ford front axle will be a bolt in affair as far as the spring perches are concerned. then you will have to deal with all the stuff asociated with SOA swaps. i had a 94 f350 with the 460 5 speed. i think if i had the options you do, i would use the ford driveline, with the exception of the sterling rear end. they are notoriously prone to issues that the GM 14 bolts are not
    Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

I thought it looked like it was the same width, just wondering how to move the steering to the top since the later Ford 60s don't have the four bolts on top to bolt custom made steering arms to. I was going to use the chevy stuff because it looked easier motor mounts, hyd. clutch and all Pyanroo I compliment you on your build and this is the kind of build up I'm going for. Want a good all around rig to wheel, mud, and in sand. I live in Texas panhandle so not too many rocks. May use the ford axles and run chevy motor/trans still studying. I would rather mount a div. mounted NP205 like you did.

the GM powertrain is definately a nice choice. it is my first choice, but the 460 is still a good engine and i was happy with mine.

if you want to use highsteer arms, i think you will have to buy modified knuckles or have the steering knuckle drilled and tapped for the steering arm.

with both complete trucks to choose from you can kind of mix the best of both and only have to look for a few odds and ends.

thanks for the compliment. i am kind of building my truck for the same, good all around truck that is still comfortable to drive and work in.

ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

After studying some I think I may use the entire F350 drivetrain. I have found a Klune-V under drive gear box to give me a more desirable crawl ratio with the 4.10 gears. I will have to get a price, but this seems like the best way to go. If not I may use the ford axles and the chevy drivetrain and use the 241c t-casewith the drivers side output, and the Klune-V under drive unit. I'll post pictures ASAP .