Thread: Turn signal switch/painless harness

Default Turn signal switch/painless harness

I am in the middle of a complete rebuild of my 67, 715. I have a GM Painless wireing harness with a built in flasher unit and turn signal dash indicator lights. It's going to be converted to 12v and my only hang up at the moment is finding a turn signal switch that will work with my set up and still look military. I have the old spartan turn signal switch right now. Is there a way I can re-use that somehow with the GM harmess? I've seen the conversion video that someone posted here but I dont want to go that far with it since my harness already has flashers and everything already built in it.
    If not is there a switch out there that looks like the stock one, that runs on 12v. Memphis equipment has a switch but there service guy wasent sure if it would work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Merrill View Post
    Is there a way I can re-use that somehow with the GM harmess? I've seen the conversion video that someone posted here but I dont want to go that far with it since my harness already has flashers and everything already built in it.
    If not is there a switch out there that looks like the stock one, that runs on 12v. Memphis equipment has a switch but there service guy wasent sure if it would work or not.
    I have been wanting to tackle this one for awhile now but it just hasn't come up lately. Now might be the time.

I did the video thing and I don't blame you for not wanting to go that far.

I need to see the inside of one of these Starton switches to see if it can accommodate the brake light circuit.

Some of the M37's had the same Sparton switch and distribution box. I'v read a couple articles on conversions for these but I don't remember if they used the stock switch. I'll look around and get back to you.

Does anyone have a spare switch I could borrow to take a look?

I have mine sitting around. I'm up in oak harbor washington. Not sure where onalaska Wa is. Anywhere close to Mt. vernon or lynwood? I could meet you somewhere maybe

The Sparton switch is a dead end. It doesn't have enough wires to work, and is not modifyable. I used a turn signal switch from ebay that they sell for semi trucks and dune buggys. It is chrome, but looks like it could be an original type switch if you sanded and painted the chrome. They do sell black switches but they seem to cost twice as much. These switches are very high quality metal switches. They cost 20-40 bucks but are well worth the money to solve the problem.

The other alternative is to use a different steering column with turnsignal (from wagoneer or J-truck)

I have mine sitting around. I'm up in oak harbor washington. Not sure where onalaska Wa is. Anywhere close to Mt. vernon or lynwood? I could meet you somewhere maybe
    I am just south and east of Chehalis along the route of the Binford Express departing Port Orchard, WA -- real soon!!

Can you get this to Tim before he departs?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The Sparton switch is a dead end. It doesn't have enough wires to work, and is not modifyable.
    I believe ya' there phoenix --- but I just have to see the inside of one of these to satisfy curiosity. This is what makes me want to look. This drawing by brute4c shows two un-used terminals (contact points). I wonder what these are and how they contact the armature in the three possible positions?

From this page:
    http://www.m715zone.com/vb/view.php?pg=early_harness

You can use the original switch pretty easily. You'll need to make a small box (or just re-use the big one under the hood that it's already connected to) with two DPDT relays. You can get them for about $7 each at Radio Shack, or anywhere else. Run 12V power to the switch the same way it is set up stock, then run the left and right on-when-turning wires to the coils of the two relays. This will give you two poles of double throw contacts switched with the turn signal switch, plenty to wire up to your wiring harness. To make the single light work, just wire it with two 1A diodes from the outputs to the front lights (or from the two feeds to two dash indicator lamps if your harness has them), to combine the two seperate signals.

--Randy

PM sent!!