Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Mount

Jester Guest

Default Trans Mount

Enlighten me. Why is the trans mount so complicated?

Seems like a simple cross pc with a mount on it would suffice. Was thinking of changing mine during my motor swap so I could have a mount that was easily replaced if needed or be able to use a poly mount.

Jester Guest

Something like this - from a build on Pirate.

Super simple with off the shelf bushings/mounts.

Trenton, the trans mount pictured above looks like it's for an auto? You will need to look at the J trucks mount compared to the t-98 from the M truck. I found it simpler to just use the stock style trans mount for the stock trans? There is some beefing up and reinforcement required also. The stock trans mounts are prone to movement. With some reinforcment and a new stock rubber mount you should be fine. I can provide the smaller rubber pieces. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Trenton, If you do swap, Tracy(FNG) is looking for several of those washers and stuff for the stock mount. I planned to give him mine off my other truck, but some of my stuff is missing too.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Trenton, the trans mount pictured above looks like it's for an auto?

Correct, that is an auto trans but the same idea could be used on the T98. A simple cross piece with the bushings on the ends.

For the stock, I just dont understand why there is a crossmember, a bunch of different brackets, the big arm style mount off the trans, and the wierd little bolted on L-bracket. The whole thing is like some sort of afterthought.

Not saying I wont end up using it - cause I dont have a shop to fab another.

One of the reasons they spread out the mounting points is torque. Your main rubber mount is great. But look at the stamped piece that has the additional mounts way outboard from the main center mount. Thats because in 4 low and popping out the clutch causes a lot of twist. It would tear your main mount if the others were not there. You can modify all you want and I love doing stuff like that, However you should at least include the mount that will be a limiter for excess torque. On my buddies CJ I made a new frame cross member and ran the torque plate a couple inches longer (stronger) and secured it up. Figure out which side will want to climb and put a mount out a couple inches. Not doing so will work, but you could tear your rubber mount eventually.

Another two lousy cents form your ole buddy dirty Al...
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    One of the reasons they spread out the mounting points is torque. Your main rubber mount is great. But look at the stamped piece that has the additional mounts way outboard from the main center mount. Thats because in 4 low and popping out the clutch causes a lot of twist. It would tear your main mount if the others were not there. You can modify all you want and I love doing stuff like that, However you should at least include the mount that will be a limiter for excess torque. On my buddies CJ I made a new frame cross member and ran the torque plate a couple inches longer (stronger) and secured it up. Figure out which side will want to climb and put a mount out a couple inches. Not doing so will work, but you could tear your rubber mount eventually.

Another two lousy cents form your ole buddy dirty Al...
    Exactly, look at the one I pictured. It is hard mounted in the center and the flexible mount is at the furthest point possible - the frame rails.

Like I said, its more just ed-u-macation for me since I wont be able to fab anything anyways. I do like to know these things though. Keeps me off the streets

Thanks for the plug Bill. My truck is missing the small spacers, rubber dampeners and the bolts that hold it all together. I was going to try and replicate the missing hardware untill I could sorta piecemeal a stock mount. If anybody has the spacers just lying around I sure could use 'em.
    Not to hyjack this thread but does anyone have the exhaust bracket still attached to the mount? I don't see any pic's of it in the mait. manual but I do have a scrounged mount that I'd like to put back on if anybody has a pic of how it goes on. I mean is it mounted on rubber or what?

Thanks to Tacoma:

Verrry Cool, thanks, I see now how it goes on! Looks hard mounted so nothing fancy about the hardware needed. Thanks Jon.