Thread: cucv axle (again)

Default cucv axle (again)

Okay,
    I am finally getting around to doing the axle swap. I am starting on the rear and I want to make sure I am doing it right plus I have a few questions. This is what I have done so far.
    1) Disassembled the axle.
    2) Ground off spring perch on on side. Placed axle under truck, centered the axle, lined up the other spring perch to be parallel with the springs and tacked in the spring perch for the new position. I will do the other side this weekend. (Unless someone tells me I'm doing it wrong.)
    3) I will be ordering the K77 rotors and axle rebuild kit this weekend. There is a little bit of rust on the ring gear but most of the guys I've talked to said to just polish it up as best I can and stick it back in. ($200 for new ring and pinion and it will be used mostly as a firewood truck.)

Have not decided yet:
    1) Do I go with the cadillac calipers to retain the e-brake or do I add a e-brake to the transfer case.
    2) Do I do the setup of the differential or do I have a shop do it. Pirate has an excellent article on how to do it but it does look quite involved.

Questions:
    1) What shocks do I use and how do I go about setting up the shock mounts on the axle. I would like to set it all up, weld it, then clean it up and paint the whole thing.

Any ideas, suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I've done a bunch of searches in pirate and on this site which is how I've figured out how to get to where I am.

Thanks,
    Rob

Sounds like you are on the right track. On mine, the perches are very close to the backing plate flanges. I can barely get the U bolt through, but it lines up and works. I will be changing to the Caddy calipers when I get some more money...I want the ebrake at the wheels. Just personal preference.

Did you get a used R&P? Setting up the gears is not too bad, just time consuming. The 14B is a good learner... The crush collar in the pinion ass'y is fun.

As far as shocks go, get everything in place, move the forward shock mount to the back of the axle tube and take a measurement. Call Rancho's tech line and they will get you the numbers you need.

The ring and pinion came with it. 4.56 gearing. It looks like the oil was never changed. Smelled like burn oil and there was some sludge. I'm guessing that because the axle sat for so long the oil settled and the gears on the top started to rust. As far as the shock mounts go do I just mount them on the front of the axle to line up with the mounts above and once everything is put back together take a measurement and I'm good?

Hey another Michigan person- I know people who I've seen fabricate 4 links, build driveshafts etc themselves who wont touch R and P s. Seems to be one of those things thats just easier to take in to a place u trust rather than fart around with. Just my two cents.

Thumbs up

I burnt the bearings up in my TJ twice learning how to do it with a manuel and still just think that it was not right when I sold the jeep so I agree that somethings are best taught to u by a master or just farmed out to one

I plan to pull the cover off my 14B in a week or two just to check the wear and see if my build is right on. It really is the easiest axle to build. The pinion bearing preload is the toughest part, but at least it can be done on the bench. The front 60 can be a headache, but it is worth it. I am happy that I set up my own for once..now I am confident that I can build more.

I say get some bearings and a shim kit and build that thing!

ring and pinion set up is not hard. you just need to have an understanding of what everything means. you also need to understand what effects what when you move stuff around. they are definately not a hard job, just time consuming. i agree with Poolmike, 14bolts are super easy to set up and great to learn on. once you get that one figured out, its easy to apply what you learned to different style of axle
    Ryan
    67 #18820 mostly stock...

The funny thing is I am a controls engineer that works in the special machine business. I did the programming on two assembly lines that built (can you guess?)

Differentials!
    I think I'll give it a try. I do like the idea of running it for a while and then popping the cover off to see how things are going. I do not have to work this week so after I wrap up a welding project or two I will be tackling the axle again.

Thanks for all the help.

Hey if you get up to silver lake you should stop in and see beast--he owns the 4x4 shop outside the dunes. His rig will give you some inspiration--clean

I remember seeing the pictures of his truck a few years back. It is a beautiful truck. He did the restore route and he did recomend a good sandblaster. I think for now I will just do the axles and maybe swap in a 350. I really want the 4bt but they are 2-3 times the cost of the chevy.