Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve cover gasket.

Default Valve cover gasket.

Guys don't give me a hard time over this but has anyone else had a problem getting the valve cover gasket to seal? I've replaced it twice and it still leaks at the rear of the head. Any secrets to sealing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Beltfed Only View Post
    Guys don't give me a hard time over this but has anyone else had a problem getting the valve cover gasket to seal? I've replaced it twice and it still leaks at the rear of the head. Any secrets to sealing this?
    They can be tricky. The new ones I've put on don't stay on the valve cover rim very well. I'm not sure if they are supposed to have a notch in them so they snap into place or not, but they slip and slide all over the place.

I think it's just trial and error. Once I've gotten them on, they seem to stay, but it's not easy. The one thing I did screw up was tightening down the valve cover too much and cutting through the gasket. It doesn't need to be all that tight since the oil inside isn't under pressure.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Thanks for the reply Chicklin.

The only hint I can give you is to have the gasket warm...like 80-100 degrees...it works better to get on but wants to slide off...work it on an end, then work it through a couple of the wavy turns on the spark plug side...the gasket will start to not want to stay on...hold it in place with your hands for a couple minutes and it will stay on better...then move a bit farther and hold again...once you get the wavy side done, the rest goes better.

I remember doing one by putting the gasket on about half the wavy side and setting it on the bench, gasket down, with a few phone books on top to hold it...

Are u sure its the valve cover leaking an not the oil line, also at the back of the head?
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Bushytails Guest

Make sure you're not overtightening it, or that it hasn't been spread by someone overtightening it in the past.

If that's not the problem, liberally apply silicone and try again.

--Bushytails

Quote Originally Posted by Bushytails View Post
    liberally apply silicone and try again.
    Not a good idea!!

Too much silicone can come loose and plug small passages in the oil lubricating system.

Use only small amounts in very thin layers.

Try 3M Weather stripping. The yellow stuff in the red tubes instead. Just use it between the cover and the gasket. It will hold the gasket on for a long time.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Bushytails Guest

Quote Originally Posted by amphi View Post
    Not a good idea!!

Too much silicone can come loose and plug small passages in the oil lubricating system.

Use only small amounts in very thin layers.
    This is the valve cover gasket, not an internal gasket... even if any silicone comes loose, all it can do is either sit on top of the head doing nothing, or bounce down to the oil pan, where it can float there doing nothing... it'd never make it through the pickup screen, much less the oil filter.

--Bushytails

I think the "bouncing down to the oil pan" part is what he was concerned about. How big are those passages?
    1967 M715 w/w #11812