Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overdrive tranny for the 230

Default Overdrive tranny for the 230

I'm sure this has been asked, but I couldn't find it. Has anyone ever made an overdrive transmission (auto or manual) that would bolt up to the stock 230, either directly or via some adapter? Do any of the later Jeep overdrive transmissions have a chance of working?
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

The Ranger overdrive from Advanced Adapter can be made to fit the T98 trans...it fits in front of the trans and behind the engine. The only applications I see for it on the motor side are GM and Ford...well and Toyota Landcruiser...their page is here:

http://advanceadapters.com/category/...derdrives.html

Some have said it is possible to mate this to the 230 with work...think adapter or redrilling either the bellhousing or the Ranger unit...I do not know that it has been done.

How much overdrive are you looking for and are you looking for more top end speed or just the 50-60 mph stock trucks can do with less rpm in the motor?

The reason I ask is that the stock 230, being underpowered to a fair degree, cant pull too heavy an overdrive gear at speed...just doesnt have the power in it. The 27% overdrive the Ranger has would work out to a stock truck with stock tires and gears going to a 4.28 ratio...for comparison, a stock truck going to 44.5 inch tires would be equal to a 4.56 ratio...and I doubt a 230 would pull tires that large very well at highway speeds. Sure wouldnt be any power left to accelerate...and 4.28 would make it worse.

Nothing else....absolutely nothing else...bolts to the 230 block due to its bizarre bellhousing pattern and no other transmission I have ever heard of, auto or manual, bolts to the back of the stock bellhousing.

Well, it would be nice to be able to run more comfortably on the highway. I realize the t-case would still need to be addressed, but shaving some RPMs from the motor would be nice, too.

My stock 230 runs great, appears to only have 11k miles on it and, frankly, the thought of a motor swap seems a little daunting. It sounds like an NP205 and just dealing with the RPMs is going to be the way to go, but I thought I would ask.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

The 205 will help the heat issue for sure.

I know what you mean on wanting an overdrive...I have tried to find a Brown-Lipe unit, overdrive and underdrive, to go behind the stock trans with a decent ration on the overdrive to let the 230 pull it and get the highway rpms down...havent found one yet...

Exclamation

Hi guys,
    I'm a NewB here ... I'm a regular over on the IFSJA.org site, as well as the AMC-List and FSJ-List.

I was recently searching the web for tranny adapters and came across a company that makes adapters for the old "obsolete" (in someone's opinion) hot rod engines, including the Kaiser/Continental 226 engine.

I brought this 226 adapter to the attention of the Full Size Jeep list and Landen Schooler, the moderator, says that the 230 and 226 have the same bell pattern ... so the 226 adapter MAY work for you.

Bob at www.transmissionadapters.com thought that the 230 and 226 were different, but said that if someone could send in a card board template of the 230 OHC, he would match it up and see. Of course, if one of the M715 guys lives near Bob's company in Ham Lake, MN ... perhaps someone could physically take a 230 block with crank installed there for mating up.

The 226 adapter is for mating up ANY GM Automatic transmission to the 226 block. If it can be used for a 230 OHC ... then you have your answer! With some creativity, I don't see why the adapter couldn't be used to mate up a GM bell housing for a stick tranny.

Here is a copy of the emails on the FSJ-list group, for your review.

--- On Thu, 2/5/09, bbendtsen@aol.com <bbendtsen@aol.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [FSJ-List] 226 I6 to GM tranny adapter ... will this fit the 230 OHC?
    To: amundaza@yahoo.com
    Date: Thursday, February 5, 2009, 3:15 PM

I am willing to look at that but I have gotten the exact opposite info from Jeep guys around here. Send me a cardboard tracing of your bellhousing bolt pattern.

-----Original Message-----
    To: bob@transmissionadapters.com
    Cc: FSJ-List <FSJ-List@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 8:50 am
    Subject: Fw: Re: [FSJ-List] 226 I6 to GM tranny adapter ... will this fit the 230 OHC?

Hi Bob,
    I received confirmation from our Full Size Jeep list forum moderator that the L-226 and 230-OHC engines have the same bell pattern. See the email below.

I am going to CC this email back to the FSJ-List. If you're interested, and there is someone near you with a 230-OHC that they could loan you, you could test fit the adapter up to it ... this would open up your market-share on the L-226 adapter to the FSJ guys. There would also be a market to some of the Argentinian IKA Torinos (Rambler body) that ran the 230-OHC engine up into the early 1980's.

Sincerely,
    Greg Taylor <><
    Rochester Hills, MI
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer "TRMN8R2"

--- On Thu, 2/5/09, The MAd Scots Farmer <skoullar@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [FSJ-List] 226 I6 to GM tranny adapter ... will this fit the 230 OHC?
    To: FSJ-List@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Thursday, February 5, 2009, 11:37 AM

Since the T-98 bell housing from a M-715 Tornado will bolt to a L6-226,
    and when you change the pilot bushing, the T-98 4sp slides right in....

They've never tried it I bet.

Landen

>To: FSJ-List@yahoogroups.com
    >Subject: Re: [FSJ-List] 226 I6 to GM tranny adapter ... will this fit the
    230 OHC?
    >
    >Hey Landon,
    >How are you? The guy at the company said they don't ... but then
    again, I don't think he ever tried bolting the adapter up to one.
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >Greg Taylor <><
    >Rochester Hills, MI
    >1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer "TRMN8R2"
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >--- On Wed, 2/4/09, The MAd Scots Farmer <skoullar@ix.netcom.com>
    wrote:
    >
    >From: The MAd Scots Farmer <skoullar@ix.netcom.com>
    >Subject: Re: [FSJ-List] 226 I6 to GM tranny adapter ... will this fit the
    230 OHC?
    >To: FSJ-List@yahoogroups.com
    >Date: Wednesday, February 4, 2009, 6:03 PM
    >
    >Yes, the L6-226 and OHC6-230 engines use the same bellhousing.
    >
    >Landen Schooler
    >Palmyra, Iowa
    >
    >
    >>Subject: [FSJ-List] 226 I6 to GM tranny adapter ... will this fit the
    >OHC?
    >>
    >>Hey guys,
    >>I stumbled upon this at
    http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm ;...
    >doesn't the 226 and 230 OHC have the same bell pattern?
    >>
    >>Sincerely,
    >>Greg Taylor <><
    >>Rochester Hills, MI
    >>1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer "TRMN8R2"
    Sincerely,
    Greg Taylor

Food for thought if the L226 adapter will work on the 230 OHC ...

You can adapt a GM auto OD tranny to the M715 and run a GM t-case that could also be adapted to the Gear Vendors OD that mounts on the back of the T-case. GV makes a handful of those units. You would in essence have a double overdrive for 2WD mode.
    Sincerely,
    Greg Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by amundaza View Post
    I brought this 226 adapter to the attention of the Full Size Jeep list and Landen Schooler, the moderator, says that the 230 and 226 have the same bell pattern ... so the 226 adapter MAY work for you.
    Wow, great info, I hope you're right. I think Jon might have a whole 230 sitting in his garage.

Jon, any chance we could verify this?
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Hey,
    Glad to be of help … I hope that someone can get with Bob at www.transmissionadapters.com so that this can be “resolved”. I hope it works out for you!
    Sincerely,
    Greg Taylor

Well, this is very interesting...I have seen in the Mitchell interchange manual that the 226 can be removed and the 230 put in its place...leads me to believe we have a winner!!
    I happen to have 2-230 in the shop...bellhousings are on...at the moment...

Ham Lake, MN....north of Minneapolis, north of Blaine on 65? Bout 4 hours from me...

Lets find ou one way or the other!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Well, this is very interesting...I have seen in the Mitchell interchange manual that the 226 can be removed and the 230 put in its place...leads me to believe we have a winner!!
    I happen to have 2-230 in the shop...bellhousings are on...at the moment...

Ham Lake, MN....north of Minneapolis, north of Blaine on 65? Bout 4 hours from me...

Lets find ou one way or the other!!
    Man, that would be awesome. I realize the 230 is not the world's greatest motor, but if I could stick, for example, a 700r4/np205 behind it without touching the motor, I would be one happy guy.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812