Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do to a 360

Jester Guest

Default What to do to a 360

Anything I should consider doing to my AMC 360 that I will be swapping in the near future? Oil bypass tube to rear? Timing chain? HEI ignition? Not really looking for power adds - just reliability.

If the motor is out and easy to work on, might as well do it now if the budget will allow.

My opinion Trenton is to just heave it in there, get it running good in the doner truck, if you can run it down to the quarter car wash clean drive train. Change the Valve cover gaskets, get the trans mods done with a new clutch and get it in there. Bolt on mods are still pretty easy and accessable in the truck.

Do the timing set and the water pump while it is between rigs. PITA to do in the truck, and I always replace the water pump on a new to me rig.

Check for slop in the timing chain. MUCH easier to swap that out if you have the motor out.
    FYI, it is a slippery slope, but if I had to do the timing chain, I would put a cam and intake on the motor at the same time.
    But this motor was rebuilt recently, right?

Oil mods?
    Believe it or not, the BIGGEST THING you can do, is run 6 qts of oil instead of 5. This was pretty much the original engineer's plan, but corporate wanted it to be 5 qts like all the other vehicles of that time.
    SO, do an oil change, do it with 5 qts, that should have the oil at the top of the Full mark (always good to double check this btw!). Then add an extra qt, and make a mark on the dipstick so you know where it should be from then on.
    This will solve probably 90% of oiling issues for most people (yes, even most people racing their motors).

Ignition, if you have points, swap the entire distributor out for an HEI unit.
    If it has a magnetic pickup, then just install the better TFI coil and ford big cap and wires. Costs a lot less, and gets pretty good results.

Phil will have an idea as to when the timing chain and engine were gone through. The water pump wouldn't be a bad idea, HEI ignition would be good as well as carb cleaning/rebuilding if need be. Otherwise clean/paint and install. Oh I would probably spend the money for a new clutch if it looks worn, otherwise new throughout bearing for sure. Performance mods can be done down the road unless you want to make the changes now. I'd consider re building the heads and installing a 401 cam.

I was just going to mention the timing chain also. But never buy an OEM chain. They are weak and can stretch in under 30K. The stock chains could be made better. Get a true roller and run it.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Jester Guest

i was thinking of doing some of the front end stuff as it would be real easy to do while the motor is out.

Edelbrock Performer-Link Timing Chain

Oil Pump Repair Kit

Flow Kooler High Flow Aluminum Water Pump

All avail from BJ's and not too expensive.

Jester Guest

And if there is any $$ left after the install...

Mallory Series 85 HEI Distributor

I'd go with something else. I've owned a couple Mallory's and hated them. You have to buy their cap and rotors, and not every parts store stocks them. Also they tended to crack easily when offroad for no apparent reason. I'd go with a stock distributor and see if you can get a Pertronix kit, that way you can swap it back to factory points in the field easily if need be.

Jester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I'd go with a stock distributor and see if you can get a Pertronix kit, that way you can swap it back to factory points in the field easily if need be.
    Like that idea