Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just got my first m-715 and need to know some things

Default just got my first m-715 and need to know some things

i just bought a 1968 m-715 in very good shape with 17,000 miles on it and want to know some things . i need to know were is the best place to get tires 16 / 42 inch and 20 / 44 to 52 xl and xzl's . i also plan on later replacing the 230 with a 1989 sbc 350 tpi with all fuel injection parts , sensors and computor that will come from my iroc that will get a 383 and 5 speed manual in the furture . the 700r4 might go in the m-715 . but witch is better a 700r4 or a 4l-80-e . i already have the 700r4 and i know the 700r4 has a lock up torque converter but i can get a 4L-80-e cheap . i really dont know much about the 4L-80-e but i think it is computor controled and i dont have one for the 4L-80-e like the 700r4 . i want the sbc 350 tpi because of the somewhat low end torque from the tpi runners and not bad hp with the after market roller cam lifters and rockers in it . also want the overdrive from the auto for on road trips . and i want to keep the transfer case with the 350 and auto so how does the output shaft from the auto fit the tranfer case what is needed to make it work . i also thought about turbo charging the 230 and puting in and electric 2 speed overdrive unit . is there anything that can be done to increase the hp and torgue of the 230 . and what is a 4bt and a 6 bt that everyone talks about on here with the desiel engines . aslo will put power stering in ,spring over conversion ,lockers ,electric winch 10,000 lbs and some other upgrades . i love this truck , have wanted one for several years but never could find a nice one close to home and for the right price
    and i will never sell this truck !!!! any input from anyone would be welcome .
    ps also have nice 2 1/2 6x6 deuce

Welcome to the 'Zone......
    I think you will find the members here have a wealth of information and insights to share, and are friendly to boot....
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

picures pictures pictures

You can put a 2 barrel and a civilian ignition on the 230 for some power gains. It will produce more like it seems it should for a 230 cube powerplant in this heavy a truck...no world beater but ok.

Turbo has been thought about many times...the restrictiveness of the intake side of the head is 1 limiting factor...everything having to be made from scratch is another.

Welcome to the zone and try this
    Stand behind ur truck see the JEEP on the tailgate it still stands for
    Just Empty Every Pocket
    I spent 5 grand on mine last week ouch

The 4bt an 6bt are cummins diesel engines, 4 an 6 referring to number of cyls.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Randall,

Welcome aboard!

Anything is possible with the right knowledge, patience, and enough money.

The SBC is a common swap. The Cummins diesels are another (more expensive) option. The question you have to ask yourself is, 'What exactly do I want to do with this vehicle?' Then the other questions start - '24V or swap to 12V?', 'Do I want to swap the diff gears?', in your case - 'How am I going to lift the truck to get the tires under it?'

I'm like you, I'm keeping mine. I decided to go diesel (for the mpg and commonality of fuel with my other vehicles), so I have a reman 4BT waiting to be set in the frame. I wanted better speed, so I'm swapping to more modern axles with a higher gearing ratio for on-road speed and better (disc) brakes. Dang, there goes my low end - so I am swapping in a 3:1 (low) Atlas II with an e-brake.

That's how the decision making process worked for me... and took 2 years. I'm still refining it.

Snuffy

PS - Send Jon (brute4c) you vin and mfg. date.

Hello everyone
    Thanks for all of the feed back so far . I will try to put up some pics soon and will post the vin # and production date soon as well . Also at this piont thinking of just puting in the 350 sbc an keeping the rest stock but still think the on road speed would still be 45mph tops . From what i can tell my truck is all stock and when on the main road it is screeming at 45 mph . Also if i went ahead an put the 700r4 would the stock np200 trasfer case hold up on main roads or would it after time fail from the higher speeds . Also so love the very low crawl of low first and would like to keep this . I know its if i do this i gain this but lose that I guess thier is no perfect solution and what one person would like is maybe not what someone else would like . To each is his own and if its what makes you happy and the way you want it then its the right way !!!

the truck is a 1968 vin # 31152

Quote Originally Posted by randall555 View Post
    Hello everyone
    Thanks for all of the feed back so far . I will try to put up some pics soon and will post the vin # and production date soon as well . Also at this piont thinking of just puting in the 350 sbc an keeping the rest stock but still think the on road speed would still be 45mph tops . From what i can tell my truck is all stock and when on the main road it is screeming at 45 mph . Also if i went ahead an put the 700r4 would the stock np200 trasfer case hold up on main roads or would it after time fail from the higher speeds . Also so love the very low crawl of low first and would like to keep this . I know its if i do this i gain this but lose that I guess thier is no perfect solution and what one person would like is maybe not what someone else would like . To each is his own and if its what makes you happy and the way you want it then its the right way !!!
    You should be able to top out around 60 mph with the stock setup (although you should keep it at 50 or under for extended periods). Putting an SBC in will easily let you run 60 mph with otherwise stock drivetrain. However, yes, the NP200 seals will fail if you run 50+ for extended trips, even with a 700R4 since the t-case RPM wouldn't change.

It may take you a little time to get used to the noise. In my first M715, I thought it was going to fall apart at 50 mph because I had never driven a truck that got that loud before. Then, I owned a deuce for a while and learned the real definition of LOUD. Now, my new M715 sounds like a sewing machine to my ears.

Some of it is the gearing, some of it is the t-case, but it's not going to explode. These trucks were designed to max out at 60 mph (albeit for short bursts). Running 45-50 mph should be no problem.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812