Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New top recomendations

I ordered mine last spring from Surplus City........I believe it was $265.00..........It was shipped out right away.......Fits like a glove......window was nice and clear.......highly reccommend!

Quote Originally Posted by rboltz View Post
    Mine was from Surplus City. Put it on early this winter. See my thread here about it. Only problem was trying to do it in the cold as it had shrunk and it was stiff. The rear window is not yellow.
    The tops from Surplus City come with protective paper on the window which you have to remove. This is why the windows don't appear clear in the photo's on their site or on Ebay.

I have the name of a lady in MN that I think I got from someone on this site. She uses the original type canvas only and has the specs to make it as if it were stock issue. I will continue to look for it, in the mean time maybe this will jog someones memory on her name.

Mona of New Life Canvas is the lady in Minnesota...thats what the thread is about...

Yes, that would be Mona, but she is willing to work with different materials other than stock-weight canvas. In addition to stock stops, she'll also do non-stock alterations such as zippered rear panels, blackout covers for the back window, etc. I believe hers is the only company that will do that.
    -- Tim Taylor

Just installed my new top from surplus city. Perfect fit. 275ish w/shipping. Shipped the day I ordered it.

I threw my New Life Canvas top on today. It shipped about 530 days after I ordered it (seriously). I opted for the bigger rear window, a blackout curtain, and the rear panel that rolls up. The color I ordered is a Carhartt brown.

It was $325 if I remember right. The top is very well made. Although comparing pictures of oskarkat's top to this one, I think his looks like it fits more snugly and mine looks a bit loose.

Driving with it today was great. The larger rear window improves visibility significantly. It's nice to know the cab will stay dry when it rains tonight!

I also had New Life make a seat cover for a FSJ bench seat out of the same material as the top. The cover isn't completely installed on the seat but it's pretty close - just need to secure it to the frame and tighten it up. I'll be putting the seat in the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by jlogan View Post
    The top is very well made. Although comparing pictures of oskarkat's top to this one, I think his looks like it fits more snugly and mine looks a bit loose.
    Mine is a New Life Resources top--one of the last M715 tops Judith made before she sold the business to Mona (dba New Life Canvas). I've had it on for just about two years now and it fits a LOT more snugly now than it did initially.

Give it some time, get it wet and let it dry a few times and I think you'll be happy with how tight it gets.

That said, however, mine still has a bit of a wrinkle the same as you have behind the driver's door window, even after it's shrunk a bit.

Mona used the same patterns on yours as Judith used for mine, so they should be the same. Mine is also with the larger rear window and roll-up back.

Anyway, mine used to fit exactly like yours looks when I first put it on. If you're okay with how mine looks now (that picture was taken a few months ago), then that's probably how yours will look in a year or two.
    -- Tim Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Give it some time, get it wet and let it dry a few times and I think you'll be happy with how tight it gets.

That said, however, mine still has a bit of a wrinkle the same as you have behind the driver's door window, even after it's shrunk a bit. Anyway, mine used to fit exactly like yours looks when I first put it on. If you're okay with how mine looks now (that picture was taken a few months ago), then that's probably how yours will look in a year or two.
    I think your top looks great. Thanks for the info Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    That's what she said.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812