Thread: Whoo Hoo my winch works.

Default Whoo Hoo my winch works.

Finally got the nerve up to engage my PTO today. Everything has gone so well to this point with all my mods and rebuilding I just figured there would be a snafu of some sorts. I guess I've been putting it off. Everything worked flawlessly. The stock PTO with stock driveshafts, modded to fit my pto Ramsey winch in custom bumper. It works great. It is now full of winch cable. Anyone have any how to's on working the PTO winch. I can definately see I will need to be on the money when using it. Otherwise my truck may be folded in half. With my relocated winch lever on tranny tunnel above gas pedal the lever works like the stock insigna dash plaque says. I did order a winch plague to put on the panel with a non winch truck data plaque. A few more things and I'll be finished. Is there a Power lock on the way Al? I can't wait to be finished.

The -10 manual explains how to use the stock winch. Lots of soldier A and soldier B talk.

When winding the cable in yourself, a tire hooked to it works great until you can't see it over the hood anymore. Then you can try to find soldier B or spin the shaft by hand. At least that is my solution.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    The -10 manual explains how to use the stock winch. Lots of soldier A and soldier B talk.

When winding the cable in yourself, a tire hooked to it works great until you can't see it over the hood anymore. Then you can try to find soldier B or spin the shaft by hand. At least that is my solution.
    Soldier B = Wife A, right?

I get better results and enthusiasm with Son A, but do what you think you must.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Haha...unfortunately Son A is 16 months old and Daughter A (a.k.a Child B) is 5 months.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Well put Mr. Barr, well put......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

i don't have any kids, and wife A is in Farmington shopping with her gal pals. i am left to toil all by my lonesome. That pleases me fine. as long as the wife is out and about having a good time i am not in the doghouse. but since i am there so much i am kind of used to it. it feels weird not to be in trouble...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Anyone have any how to's on working the PTO winch. I can definately see I will need to be on the money when using it. Otherwise my truck may be folded in half.
    Several big things to keep in mind when using a PTO winch:

When winching, the only thing that will stop the winch is pushing in the clutch. That means no getting out of the truck while winching. I've seen people do that before and it scares me to watch.

Solo winching can be tricky because, of course, you need to be in the driver seat, and also you need to be able to watch how the cable spools back onto the drum so you don't overwind one side and damage the winch.

With an electric winch releasing the controller button stops the winch. With a PTO it will keep going until the clutch is pushed in, so again, be very careful, especially if another person has their hands anywhere near the fairlead.

Safety is probably the biggest factor. Other than that, a PTO winch works very well (as long as the engine is running) and can get you out of some pretty nasty stuff.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™