Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auto Tranny Shifter

Default Auto Tranny Shifter

Looking for ideas on a shifter setup for my 4bt and TH400 transplant. I will be using Randy's setup for the transfer levers and need a gearshifter setup.

Anyone ever use the B&M Streetrod shifter? http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Per...-with-12-stick.

A little OD paint and it would look somewhat stock.

Warthog
    Live like you will die tomorrow. Dream like you will live forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog View Post

A little OD paint and it would look somewhat stock.

Warthog
    I agree!!

ps: the other link went to the wrong item

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Per...et-Rod-Shifter

Maybe you find one from an M35A3 or an old M211 and modify it.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Here's what I used. Its a Hurst and then I added a pod on the top for a transfer case temp gauge:

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Take a look trans-go I thinks the shifters they sell use linkage rather than cables, longer term they are better.

Hey Warthog,

I have a 4l60 in my truck. I used a lokar shifter. The lokar shifter has an adjustable mount, and it came up through the stock shifter hole perfectly. I used the stock shifter boot with it too. I'm guessing you could get the same thing for the th400? I'll try to post a picture this weekend.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by militarytrux View Post
    Take a look trans-go I thinks the shifters they sell use linkage rather than cables, longer term they are better.
    Only issue I have with mechanical hard linkage, is that if there is any movement between the body, frame and engine, the geometry can change and switch gear position when you don't want it to.

A cable will allow more flexibility too in position of the shifter.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Take a look at the Art Car and/or Winters shifters (they are the same design made by two different companies).

They are a DIRT simple cable shifter. They are popular in lots of off-road applications and buggies. They have VERY positive gate engagement (so the wife cannot accidently throw into reverse), but they are designed such that even if they are full of mud they shift well. Add to that a BUNCH of different mounting options, and I won't use any other shifter in my off-road stuff.

http://www.artcarr.com/merchandise/home/11.acpp

Lokar shifter all the way. I have a BM shifter in my truck and I hate it. It doesn't look or feel "right". Since all shifters function basically the same way, the look and feel is the most important factor to me. I saw a lokar shifter in a scrambler yesterday. At first glance you couldn't even tell it was an auto. You can get the lokar with either a hard mount or a cable.

I ordered a hard mount today to replace my existing shifter.

I third the vote for Lokar--I'm switching over to auto and thats what I'm going to get--They do look like a stock/manual set up when you first look at them. They have two different length shifters as well-one is pretty long/high.