Thread: New Acquisition - M725

Default New Acquisition - M725

I bought this ambulance today from a really nice collector in Wisconsin.

It’s an older restoration and seems to be complete.

I probably won’t change anything except the fluids and maybe add a siren. My M43 ambulance has a siren under the hood which seems like a stock location for it. Curious if anyone knows if that is where the siren goes for the M725? I had another M725 about 25 years ago; that one didn’t have a siren either. I mounted a MARS siren on the hood across from the black-out light (?) using a duplicate matching mount. It looked good, but I knew it wasn’t right.

I guess I will also grease everything, clean the plugs, reset the the timing and pump out the gas tank to see what the fuel looks like. The carb looks a little leaky so maybe a carb kit down the road.

Otherwise, I posted a while back for some medium tow bar feet and learned a lot. In the end, I decided against flat-towing it home; instead I am having it trailered~1,200 miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Where_is_my_M725?; December 27th, 2022 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Where_is_my_M725? View Post
    I bought this ambulance today from a really nice collector in Wisconsin.

It’s an older restoration and seems to be complete.

I probably won’t change anything except the fluids and maybe add a siren. My M43 ambulance has a siren under the hood which seems like a stock location for it. Curious if anyone knows if that is where the siren goes for the M725? I had another M725 about 25 years ago; that one didn’t have a siren either. I mounted a MARS siren on the hood across from the black-out light (?) using a duplicate matching mount. It looked good, but I knew it wasn’t right.

I guess I will also grease everything, clean the plugs, reset the the timing and pump out the gas tank to see what the fuel looks like. The carb looks a little leaky so maybe a carb kit down the road.

Otherwise, I posted a while back for some medium tow bar feet and learned a lot. In the end, I decided against flat-towing it home; instead I am having it trailered~1,200 miles.
    Well, it looks like a solid Ambulance to work with. As far as the siren, these ambulances didn't come with one and there was no provisions for them. They were added at the motorpool level in some units, and there is a great spot under the hood on the passengers side of the inner fender where the battery would mount on a civilian Gladiator. The proper 24v sirens can be very expensive and somewhat difficult to find. I have used a cheap alternative on several of my trucks for parade use. Here is a good video showing how and where I mounted it on the latest M725 I just finished restoring.

I have a whole series going on the restoration on my Green Iron TV channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyM...HPWePu0VcpSqhQ
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Thank you for the information; I may try to hold out for 24 volt siren. As you mentioned, the prices are high, especially on eBay. I remember a vendor at the MVPA meet in Dallas in the mid-1990’s had the smaller MARS ones for $35 and the bigger Federal ones for $45 new in boxes. I bought a small one. Should have bought more.

Wow...great find!! Wish I had beat you to it!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

It was the one in Wisconsin on Facebook Marketplace. I went up to take a look at it after speaking with the owner. It was an easy decision.

There is another M725 near Madison, Wisconsin I also took a look at. It’s been outdoors at a salvage yard for about ten years. Lots of rust on that one, missing parts like the radiator, plus broken glass; for me, it is not worth restoring. It has a title, a civilian ignition system. The motor might have been the civilian Tornado. The water pump looked different. I’m on the fence about it; thinking of it for parts maybe, but it’s a long and expensive trip to get it here to Florida and I’m already having the other hauled. There will probably be an M725 in similar condition closer to me.

Mostly, I’m searching for a PTO and winch kit. I’d like to find the two-sided PTO like on trucks with the welders in back-M724’s I think.

Never on facebook...i dont have free time anymore...wouldnt have seen it...but wish I had...

Where in Wisconsin was it?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Well Jon, that Facebook will definitely eat up time. All of those pages on M715/M37 series trucks, sailboats, Unimogs, fishing, canoeing, aviation, etc. have a way of pulling a person in.

The M725 was in Dodge County. More than likely you know of the owner, or perhaps his son who has an M715 himself. The owner has been advertising that truck on-and-off for some time now. Perhaps there is not much of a market for M725’s, although I can’t think of a reason why that would be….

Wow that looks like a super clean M725. Good find for sure. If I could count the long nights on marketplace just hitting the scroll down button. Seeing what FB thinks I want to see. Till it is time to go to bed. Pretty cool rig you found. Wheel cylinder kits headed your way.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

Quote Originally Posted by Where_is_my_M725? View Post
    Mostly, I’m searching for a PTO and winch kit. I’d like to find the two-sided PTO like on trucks with the welders in back-M724’s I think.
    I just pulled the winch and PTO off my truck. Will post pics this week if you are interested. I'm in PA and willing to freight ship.

Hello Eric, I am interested. I will follow up with you by PM. Thank you, Jerry