Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Panels

Default Body Panels

Hello,
    Will 1962 - 1987 gladiator pickup front and rear floorpans fit an m715?
    Thankyou

Thanks,
    The gladiator rocker panels, for some reason, look different than my m715's.
    As do the floor pans.
    So I suppose, there should be no problem with the rocker panels, if the floor pans work.
    While I've got your attention.
    Do you know what the average price of having new floor pans and rocker panels welded in would be? Minus the panels.
    I don't weld, a welder is on my list. I just don't want to cut my teeth on the truck.

Thankyou

go get your welder and some sheet metal and pratice, for what you will spend on paying someone to install the floors, you will have either the whole welder or the majority if it paid for. you can use any scrap metal to pratice. then practice with sheet metal the same guage of the floor. if you have the ambition, spend the money on the tools and do it yourself. you will use a mig welder for the rest of you life once you own it.

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by Duane View Post
    go get your welder and some sheet metal and pratice, for what you will spend on paying someone to install the floors, you will have either the whole welder or the majority if it paid for. you can use any scrap metal to pratice. then practice with sheet metal the same guage of the floor. if you have the ambition, spend the money on the tools and do it yourself. you will use a mig welder for the rest of you life once you own it.

Duane
    Yes. It is a painful learning curve (or it was for me), but I'm glad I took the leap.

Thanks guys, that's the motivation I needed to push me over the edge.
    I was looking at welders this weekend.
    I've been wanting to learn for a few years now, and it seems if you're going to own a usable 40 year old vehicle it's a must.

Dennis

Spend the extra money and get a GOOD welder.
    -- Tim Taylor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    Ditto that!

And don't buy from any place that cannot explain its operation and support it in the future. Nothing like an expensive paperweight.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    I agree. I'm a believer in buying used good stuff rather than new questionable stuff.

I knothing about them, besides the obvious- input voltage, output amperage,
    thickness of metal to be welded.

What are some things to look for?
    Secondly, is it best to go with a trusted name like Miller, or Hobart? For reasons other than servicability, and parts availability?

Also, portable with the carry handle, or larger shop welder? I realize that if the specs are the same, then it's a matter of opinion.

Thanks,
    Dennis

my opinion is get a miller or a lincoln, parts will be available forever. and not gone tommorow, I know people with name brand welders that are 30 years old. dont know if the same will be said for the cheaper ones. Hobart is a good one too. a 150amp 220 will be fine for car restoration. even a 130amp 110 volt you can get by with. a 180/200amp 220 will be the caddillac for you.

I own a 150amp 220 miller and you can weld 3/8 thick single pass. no problem.

Duane