Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical question about generator

Default Electrical question about generator

Ive been having trouble figuring out how to wire my generator up, everything works electically, but as soon as I disconnect the battery the engine dies. I have a main wire going off the generator to the floor starter switch and off that same terminal I have a wire going to the ignition switch. As for the other wire I am not sure where to connect it to so the batteries will charge. I tested the genenerator and it is fine. This may be a stupid question but electrical work is not my specialty. Thanks for any help.

The foot starter switch should be wired as follows:

One side should have the starter and only the starter.

The other side should have the positive from the battery AND the large wire, #5, from the alternator...this is where the alternator charges the batteries.

The other end of wire #5 hooks to the alternator...between the 2 ends of #5 is a splice...at this splice a smaller wire runs off to a 2nd splice. The 2nd splice has a total of 6 wires:

1. The wire that runs back to the first splice.
    2. Wire #25A, horn wire.
    3. Wire #85, spotlight/heater power feed.
    4. Pin F of the cannon plug of the 3 lever light switch...this is power to the lightin system.
    5. and 6. 2 wires, both numbered #11..these conect to the on/off switch and are power to the rest of the truck besides the lights, horn and heater/spotlight.

It is the last 2 above that run to the on/off switch that end up powering the ignition. The power to the ignition is from wire #12 that also hooks to the on/off switch.

Once the on/off switch is on, power can flow from the switch through wire #27 and to a spice where wire #468 comes out and runs to the alternator. This small wire is the excite wire that starts the alternator field.

I hope that all makes sense...just ask for anything thats cloudy.

Quote Originally Posted by ochartman View Post
    I have a main wire going off the generator to the floor starter switch and off that same terminal I have a wire going to the ignition switch. As for the other wire I am not sure where to connect it to so the batteries will charge
    The link below is to a complete wiring diagram for the M715 created by zone member rboltz:

http://www.m715zone.com/vb/pages/man...ring_stock.pdf

This screenshot, from the above diagram, shows the third wire, you asked about, going to GROUND. The other two are as you describe. It also shows the wires brude4c mentioned above.

I no longer have a stock truck here to look at, so maybe someone else can verify the ground connection for your third wire.

Clarify something for me...

There are technically 3 wires at the alternator:

1 big wire, #5...runs to foot starter switch.
    1 small wire, #468, excite wire, runs to a splice and then to the on off switch as wire #27.
    1 big wire, GRN, that runs from the alternator to the upper mount bracket of the alternator...this wire is about a foot long.

Your ignition switch wire should be coming off a splice in the #5 wire between the starter switch and the alternator...if it doesnt, someone has modified the wiring and more investigation may be needed to figure everything out...

Quote Originally Posted by ochartman View Post
    and off that same terminal I have a wire going to the ignition switch.
    Yep! You are on to something there brute4c. If, in fact, he has #27/568 connected to #5 the gauges would be powered up at all times even with the ignition switch off. And it would not charge but would run.

Just for clarification, rboltz wiring diagram shows the alternator field wire as #568 not #468.

This link also shows it as #568

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mseries_circuits.php3

I don't have one to look at, so I'm not sure which is the correct number.

The tag on mine lists 468 and the M715 manual does too...

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The tag on mine lists 468 and the M715 manual does too...
    Yep! I see that in the manual 20acrobat.pdf. I knew you didn't dream this because it came up once before at the end of this thread.

?How to quick check an alternator

The diagram must be wrong.

I had to send that wire to a member recently, off an old harness...made sure again it was the 468 number..

Quote Originally Posted by amphi View Post
    Just for clarification, rboltz wiring diagram shows the alternator field wire as #568 not #468.

This link also shows it as #568

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mseries_circuits.php3

I don't have one to look at, so I'm not sure which is the correct number.
    My tag was #568 so thats what I used on the drawings. A mfg. change somewhere along the line or maybe someone changed my alternator and changed the number? I have no other explanation.

Interesting...so theres 2 different ones...your theory could be right...maybe a newbie just stamped them wrong?