Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting Preparation

Default Painting Preparation

This is how and what we started with. First everything was washed with deagreaser and scrubbed then allowed to dry. I like Castrol super clean because it does a great job and its biodegradeable.

I used a heat gun and a paint scraper to remove the decals. During this step I could see someone had removed what was probably the military decals with a grinder and gouged the door up pretty bad.

The tools I used for removing all of the offending yellow, this came from an Indian reservation I believe. Hence the yellow.

I made haste outside a day or two before the snowfall. It was pretty warm and a good temp. to finish up some sanding down to almost bare metal with some 80 grit on the Random Orbital attatched to shop vac, keeps the dust down.
    I'll be posting more proper painting techniques later, stay tuned.

I thought I had better throw in a teaser shot for Saxon, since it's his truck we've been working on.

I had to refrain from touching myself, those glossy prints. Ohhh the curves.... Ha Ha... looking good Todd. I like the way that cowls smoothed out, time in body work pays off.
    I get to see her in person tomorrow, ohooooo the anticipation!!!!!

Imageshack keeps brainfarting so I'll post more pics later.

That's why I switched to Photobucket. I like it a LOT better. You can upload all the pics you want all at once! (I suppose Imageshack would do that too, but I never learned how.)

So, Todd, does the chocolate green look quite a bit different from the Marine green?

Looking good, Dan!
    -- Tim Taylor

Can't tell yet, it needs to be second coated and dry. Boy I hope I used the right paint.

I've never painted a car/truck before but I've watched a few. I was able to get a basic spray gun the otherday at Tractor Supply with the idea I'd try it.
    Question is, how many coats of primer and paint do you normally apply? I would think two coats of each, right? A friend of mine suggested "High Build" primer for filling imperfections, said it was just a little less than skim coat, ever heard of it?
    That's a nice looking paintjob, I want mine to look just like it!

If you want you will be able to follow along this post as it grows. I am intending to do a Painting Post with all the proper steps to achieve a verry nice paint job. Yes I do use high build primer and did on this project.

i also plan on painting for the first time. do you sand the primer before painting, or just spray as is?

Default More Pic

Here is one door sanded down, all paint removed except a little of the original military paint. This stuff is tenacious and doesn't really need to be fully removed.
    We found the window supports were broken, so these were brazed back together with more additional steel added for future strength and hopefully no more cracking, nice job Dan. All the window tracks are being re felted and they will get new window rubber after painting.
    Here is the other door, both doors on this truck were pretty bad with major dents and cracks in the top and windows that wouldn't roll up or down very well.

Here is Dan (Saxon) happy with a days work. We have everything laid out and have been working on the body work, stay tuned.