Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel hop

Default wheel hop

any thoughts on stopping wheel hop? i'm running 33" grip spur tires w/springover front & shackle fliped rear.350ci bowtie stock trans & transfer case,stock axles & ring & pinion ratios.haven't had truck long enough to notice if it did that with the 42" tsls it came with.it happens when plowing deep snow.

One of the simpler ways to help correct wheel hop is to make your spring perches longer. All of our trail rigs we do that with. Just use some 2.5x2.5x1/4 wall and cut it about 7-8 inches long and make a spring perch out of that. Of course you could always get some heim joints and weld a tab on the top or bottom on both sides of the axle tube and then a mouning point along the frame.

Default wheel hoop

anybody have pics of either set up?

Did they pull some springs out of the packs... Stock 715s aren't really known for viscous wheel hop. IIRC there are 7 springs in the rear packs....that's almost a guess, but i think it's right.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Front has 7 leaves stock, 515 lbs per inch.
    Rear has 7 leaves stock, 715 lbs per inch.

Wheel hop is something I cant imagine with stock springs...

i agree that the stock springs aren't likely to allow wheel hop.

Default wheel hop

i'll have to take a look.bought truck with mods done to it.not every corner was cut when it was worked on just most !

Mine did the same thing in the snow, about16", But didn't do it in low 4wd.? I know the truck is stock, I've had it do in the sand at the beach, and was told NOT to do it as it can break an axle shaft. .02

Agree VERY much with Airborne, . if it starts to do it, STOP as quick as possible, that sudden loading and unloading will break parts real quick!!
    As far as how to stop it ,.. .correct the traction problem. How much tire pressure you running? maybe drop the tire pressure to get a bigger contact patch? Any weight in the back of the truck? The best traction aid I have ever seen in snow is a bale of hay, .. .How are your shocks? They can make a huge difference also. . ..

Wheel hop is caused by the actual spring being bent and then bending back into the original position. The issue is normally worse with lower tire pressures and springs that have a lower lb per inch rating. The big issue in breaking parts is that the axle and pinion actually twist upwards towards the bottom of the truck.

This action can cause alot of broken u-joints and even damaged pinions. The trucks we run in the mountain, most guys are running BBC's and 44's or rockwells and bigger. So with leaf spring a longer spring perch helps alot. This way when the axle twist the longer spring perch will push against the spring and in that way making it harder to twist. It's the same principal as the regular bolt on traction bars.

If you are encountering it on the front end of your truck when you are pushing snow you will have no way to correct the issue besides providing a traction bar or longer spring perches. If encountering it in the rear i would try some weight to see if it keeps the truck planted. Otherwise you will need a traction bar or ladder bar on the rear as well.