Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for you guys with computer-smarts

Default Question for you guys with computer-smarts

Though this isn't exactly a Zone-related question, it COULD be were I to click on an e-mail link here, so I'll post this up....

Whenever I click on an e-mail link on a web page, instead of Outlook opening up with that e-mail addy in the TO box, I get 55 pages of Internet Explorer opening up to nothing. I use Firefox, if that matters.

Any ideas?
    -- Tim Taylor

Hmmm....guessing that somehow in your settings, the system doesnt get that your default email program should be Firefox...somehow it thinks IE is it.

Mozilla browser with Firefox email and it works like it should here...click an email link nd it opens Firefox and wants to compose.

In firefox, go to Tools...Options...click General up at the top left...The first box should be checked:
    Always check to see if Thunderbird is the default mail client on startup.

Click the "Check now" button at the end of that line just to be sure...

No, I use Outlook for e-mail. And it is indeed selected as my default e-mail program. I only use Firefox for the browser and only very rarely use IE as a browser for sites that don't like Firefox.

But when I click on an e-mail link on a website (or in an e-mail, I think), it will open 55 copies of IE, blank pages all. Weird, huh?
    -- Tim Taylor

Yeah...especially when you can get an IE Tab addon for Firefox and never need IE again!!

Go to Tools/Addons and click on Get Addons up top and you should be able to find it...works great WITHIN Firefox to open pages writte just for IE...even Windows Update!

First look to see that you have the latest version of IE...then look in the IE program at:
    Toos/Internet Options/Programs tab...in the Email line, make sure Outlook Express is selected from the drop down box.

Any help at all?

Ver. 6.0.2900.5512 blah-blah-blah....

No idea if that's the latest or not. Outlook is set as the default e-mail program there.
    -- Tim Taylor

Registry edits....have fun...and be VERY careful...back up the registry first!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    Registry edits....have fun...and be VERY careful...back up the registry first!

YES!!

Do this for sure

Hmm, I use Outlook for my email (work reasons), and use firefox for all my web browsing.
    I do have IE installed, there have always been a few pages for work that only work with IE (dynamic html stuff that firefox can't do correctly).

I have no problems with it though.
    Are you sure that firefox is the default web browser?